Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter 21

                I woke up feeling unease. Nathan was nowhere in my room. I guess he slipped out last night when I was sleeping.

                One glance at my clock already says it was already late afternoon. Sunlight burst from my tiny window. Everything seemed peaceful, until a sudden rush of yesterday’s recap rushed to my head. Now I don’t want to wake up anymore.               

                I heard a light knock on my door. Mom? Dad? The dweebs playing tricks on me? “Come in!”

                Nathan opened the door carrying a tray of food. It smells delicious, to be honest. Is that supposed to be romantic or sweet? Or is he just trying to get on my good side?

                “Good morning.” He said. I rubbed my eyes. Am I dreaming? “Thought you might want to eat something,”

                I smiled. “Thanks, you shouldn’t have. What did Mom said about this?”

                He bit his lip, “About that, they’re not home yet.”

                I took a tray and rose is on one side. A playful smile plastered in my face. I think he finds amusing because he smiled along. I toyed with the rose more than I touched the food.

                The rose’s thorn is already gone, smoothed with a use of, probably, a kitchen knife. The petals still have those dews in it, which means it’s freshly picked. And the scent, as beautiful as ever. Before, I never wonder what difference roses make. But now, no wonder girls love receiving roses from boys. It felt comfortable in some awkward and unbelievable sense.      

                “You like flowers,” He noted, nodding in my direction.

                “Not really, I just like toying with something.” I said as I tried to count it’s petals but I lost count.                I glanced at the food, I’m not really hungry. But what’s the worst thing that could happen if I eat toast, right? “You didn’t put poison here, right?” I joked again.

                He smiled. “Of course not, why would I do that?”

                I smiled. Yeah, why would he do that? I took one toast. “Because...” But before I could my explaining, I already got the toast I took for him to eat with no word. A playful and happy smile was still in my face.

                In my whole life, this is the first morning that I feel happy about something or someone. Usually, if I’m going to wake up, I’m going to pull the covers again and force myself to sleep, but today, something tells me that it’s going to be a long happy day.               

                Nathan swallowed it with no complaint, but before I could notice he was doing, another toast came into my mouth.

                I glanced at him. “Payback.” He said, smiling.

                I took the glass of water and push the toast down to my throat. A huge smirk grew on his face. Is it me? Or did he just seem cute with his smirk?

                What? Did I just mentally say he’s cute? No way! What’s happening to me?

                “Well, we wouldn’t want to mess around your room.” He said. I guess he noticed the sudden change of my expression. I wish he didn’t.

                I nodded. “Let’s not add a mess in here.”

                He stood up and took the tray with him. I’m going to apologize as soon as I cleaned this mess up. I already felt bad enough to ruin his morning, and apparently, mine also.

                I don’t know what to do next after doing and cleaning my room. It was really unlike me. I don’t know, but knowing that everything was my whole fault, I felt guilty. Every time I did something like this before, I wouldn’t felt guilty, at all. In fact, if something like this occurred in a past time of mine, like a year ago, I would still be coming out of my room and smiles and ignore like it was nothing. But now, I couldn’t imagine of doing something like that.

                I sighed. I hadn’t noticed that I crawled back into my bed until my phone vibrated.

Nathan: Hey thought you want some fresh air. Let’s go out.

                I frowned. Let’s go out. What’s that supposed to do? Crazy? Yes. Insane? No doubt. Fun? Now that is something I am not sure of. But I could always lose his tail if I got irritated or if he dares to make fun of me. I think I already know this town better than him.

Ianna: Sounds good. What time?

                It didn’t take long for him to answer.

Nathan: Twenty minutes, is dat good?

Ianna: Cool. Meet me downstairs

                Oh great. In twenty minutes and I still haven’t taken a bath yet. Like hell I would go out looking like I’ve just walked out of bed. Ha! No way will that happen.

                I took the fastest shower on my record and picked carefully on what I’m going to wear. I ended up using my favourite gray tee, jeans, and my well-worn sneakers. I prefer to sense over fashion, unlike any usual girl who would rather have her ankles ache for wearing a five-inched high heels stilettos shoe.

                A soft knock on my door made me jump from where I was standing, which was near the door already. I didn’t hear his footsteps. He is awfully quiet! I opened the door without hesitation and Nathan stood there. Looks like I wasn’t the only one who decided to take a little shower before going somewhere.

                He smelled like strawberry. Probably his soap, or strawberry flavoured cologne, I don’t know. But in some way, and sense, he smelled nice. I like guys who smell nice.

                “Hey,” I said, like a welcoming greet.

                He smiled. I hadn’t expected that. “I thought you were drowned in your tub, I couldn’t hear a single noise or sound coming from room.” Is that supposed to mean that’s always listening to whatever sound I was making in my room? That’s new.

                “Last time I checked, I’m still alive and breathing. And how could a tub drown me? I could swim, you know.” I said, humouring him, but only for a little. There’s still the annoyed part. Why does he always have to watch over me?

                “Let’s go?” He asked and I just nodded. I have no clue or an idea where he’s taking me. But I think I trust him. After all, he did try to make my night and morning to look perfect, too bad I’m in no mood for the perfect things to happen.