First Day of School

The elevator doors open to reveal a busy hallway, filled with kids. I can already tell there type from a distance. They're also made up of social groups, but with their own kind. Vampires are the mean girls/jerks. Werewolves are the jocks. Fairies are the happy-go-lucky girls. Witches are the nerds, and Zombies are ironically the normal people. Nothing standing out, but not unpopular. Not many outcasts, but there are a few kids who walk alone. Great, in a school full of different kids, I'm still going to be odd. Me and Chastity go and get our schedules. We have five of seven classes together, including lunch. Thank goodness, I won't sit alone and draw attention.

First class is Geometry. I have it with Chastity. Next is Study Hall, which I have alone. Then is English, Biology, and Art. Me and Chastity have all three together. Next is band. I play saxophone and Chastity plays flute. Finally its History, but with no Chastity.

I look at the clock. 7:56. Class starts at eight, so we should go look for it. We find it and take seats next to each other in the class. After a few minutes, people begin filling the seats around us. To my left is Chastity. To my right is a boy, I can tell he's a vampire by glancing at his hands. About two minutes before the bell rings, he turns to me.

"Hey, I'm Randi." he outstretches a hand to me. I hesitantly take it. As soon as we touch, thoughts rush to my head.

God, she's beautiful, I hope I didn't come on too strong.

I take my hand back. What the hell was that? "I, I'm Skyler" I reply.

"I haven't seen you before, are you new?" he asks. He has brown hair and blue eyes. An average jock look. I want to say he's friendly but I didn't know such a thing existed among vampires.

"Um, yeah, kinda..." I reply. "Well, welcome to our school!" he says.

"Uh, thank you, Randi." I say. I'm so freaking awkward...

His eyes brighten, which is alarming because they are already glowing. "No problem." he responds with a smile. What the heck? Was I reading his thoughts when we shook hands?

Ring

The bell rings, blaring in my thoughts. A teacher walks in. A tall woman with a bright blue dress walks to the front. She has curly orange hair coated in hairspray. She is pretty but wears far too much make-up.

"Good Morning class!" she squeaks. Ugh, that voice is gonna be hard to wake up to every morning. Judging by the overwhelming 'Ugh' heard behind me, I'd say this class is thinking the same thing.

"Now, this year we are focusing on..." I tune her out. I was excellent at math at my old school and took Geometry as a Freshman. I already know how to do the lesson plan she has on the board, so I fix my eyes on the front and zone out.

Seriously, what happened when I touched Randi's hand. It's as if a thought was forced into my head. I feel if I experienced it again, I wouldn't be able to push the thought away, whether I want to see it or not. I shudder at the thought of being forced into someone's demented mind, but as far as I could tell, Randi seemed, okay. A bit broad, but seemingly no bad intentions.

The bell rings and the teacher dismisses us, thanking everyone for the cooperation. I roll my eyes. I doubt anyone was awake in there besides the witches. As I enter the hallway, I say goodbye to Chastity. Here goes my first class alone. As I walk through the busy hallway, I feel eyes on me. A lot of eyes. Are me and Chastity the only new kids this year? I walk a little faster, stealing glances at people already staring.

When I wasn't paying attention, I bump into a guy. Our skin touches, and I get the thoughts again.

Hey, what the heck?