Shattered

I had a short nap and woke up a few hours later. I noticed there were some cloths that were my size on the foot of my bed. I quickly change into them, desperate to push away memories of what happened. Once I'm finished, I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling. Maybe I should convince Damien that I'm not safe here. He seems determined to keep me alive and well, so if I could convince him that this place is nothing but danger. Then maybe he would move me someplace else, someplace that would possibly be easier to escape from.

Soon a very stressed Damien comes in, but soon changes his demeanor to a brightened expression.

"Hey, how did you sleep?" he asks in a desperately cheery voice.

"Fine, still recovering from being attacked by a lunatic, but just fine." I reply. I'm in no mood to match his incredibly fake attitude.

His face darkens. "I was hoping that maybe you would have figured that it was a dream, I guess that was too much to hope for..."

"Apparently, so was protection..." I reply, half regretting it once it came out.

Damien becomes angered. "If it weren't for me, you would've been dead before you even MET Nate!" he shouts. Wait, could Damien be, jealous?

"If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even BE here right now! I would be at my dorm, hanging out with Chastity or Abby, and I would..."

My voice cracks. Abby. The last time I saw here was a few days ago when I saved her from Damien. I had no idea where she was. What if she was dead? Tears weld up in my eyes, threatening to fall. No, I won't let them. I need to be strong, my tears make me seem weak and defenseless. I can't let them make me a target.

Damien notices that have stopped my lecture and that I'm on the verge of a breakdown. "Skyler? Hey, are you okay? What's wrong?"

"Where's Abby?" I ask, sounding like an innocent child.

Damien's' face softens, and he almost looks suprissed.

"Don't worry, she's back at her room. After you... lost your temper... teacher from school started to patrol the hallways. They returned you and her to your rooms, and tried to apprehend me. But my men came and knocked them out. We put them in the elevator and sent them back to the school. I sent Ian out to find you, but he came back and told me that your room had been destroyed and you were nowhere to be found. I knew that you had only been a few places, so I sent him to the school, figuring that you would have gone there." says Damien.

I immediately feel relieved that Abby is okay. Then, a bit perplexed.

"I don't get why I'm so damn important!" I shout.

Damien looks annoyed. "Are you kidding me? Have you really not figured out that invisibility and spontaneous combustion is not the norm, even in the school of supernatural beings?"

"No, well, yes, I mean, am I really worth killing for?" I ask. Damien is silent, trying to think of a proper responce.

"How come you haven't killed me? Why am I such precious cargo? So what I can do a few simple tricks? Am I really worth killing someone for!?" I ask, my voice elevating. I'm not sure why, but I'm beginning to grow angry with Damien. Or just angry with everyone in this stupid place. Damien, his minions, the supernaturals, the government, my teachers. Just, everyone but my friends and parents. The people who actually cared for me, my powers aside.

By now, Damien looks completely dumbfounded. Probably astonished by my newfound bravery. "Where did that come from?" he asks.

"Lets just skip your questions for now, I think I have asked enough that need to be answered first. Go ahead, pick a few." I say.

He waits for a minute, then sighs. "There's just so much to explain." he says, sounding exhausted.

"Shoot, it's not like I have a busy schedule." I say. It's true, since I have gotten here my days have consisted of questioning, sleeping, hiding, crying, and screaming. Not particularly things of my taste.

"But, right now my schedule is busy. I'm trying to make arrangements to get you out of here. My men have proven themselves incompetent and inefficient. They can't work with jobs as big as this." Damien says, all business like.

"So I'm just a job to you!?" I shout.

"No! You're more like uh... a mission!" he defends.

"UHG!" I scream, even more angered and frustrated. "You're unbelieveable!" I say as I get up off the bed and pace around the room.

"Me? I've been nothing but kind to you!" he says.

"Ha! That's a joke! You've beaten, threatened, and kidnapped me! Is that what you call kindness?!" I'm now shouting so loud, I'm sure that people in the hallway can hear.

Damien is silent. He just reflects on my words. He realizes that I'm not exaturating, everything I have said is true. He turns and heads for the door. This infuriates me.

"Okay, now you're gonna go and contemplate what I have said, because you're far too 'deep' to understand it right now. And then you're going to come back and we will forget about it completely and I will do whatever you say because I will have realized that I should be appreciative of all the 'kindness' that you offer. For Pete's sake, MAN UP Damien. Man. Up. I don't know if you've realized, but running away from every tiny problem doesn't fix them. It makes them WORSE. So deal with them before they turn into huge problems that you complain about to other people, until they fix them for you. Jeez Damien, just man up and deal with them for yourself for once." I say.

What. Was. That. Oh no. I have pissed him off beyond belief. I immediately cover my mouth. Damien just stares at the doorknob that he was originally going to grab. I start walking in circles around the room.

"Well, great job Skyler. Your friendly attitude has once again gotten you a tombstone. Now you're going to get beaten, and probably killed. Congradulations. Your life is almost over. Great job dealing with this whole 'new life'. Not even a week in and you're about to die. You should get an award for that." I think I've lost it. I drop to the ground and keep up the conversation. "We should send home a certificate to mom and dad. They'd be proud. Oh yeah, I promised I would see them again, just more disappointments." Tears are now pouring from my eyes. "Oh, and now I'm crying, look at this Damien, I've even broken the promises that I've made to myself. Don't take any of that advice from me. As you can see, it's all crap. I'm the perfect example of how you can try all you might, but still be a failure. At least now my parents won't have to worry about how they're stupid child is fairing here at this school." My mind finally gives way and I breakdown, sobs are shaking my whole body.

Soon, I am being embraced by Damien's arms. I sob into his chest and he holds me close. In the back of my shattered mind, my conscious is telling me to let him go. That he is evil. It tries to push back the memories of him hurting me, but my mind it too gone to even understand emotions. I just let him hold me while I release all the emotions that I've been holding back. Eventually, I feel Damien pick me up and carry me out of the room. I am soon seated in a chair. I look up and see through my blurry eyes that we are now in his office. He is picking through his papers and getting some folders out.

"What, what are you doing?" I ask, my sobs still present.

He continues to go through the papers. "Getting us out of here." he replies. I say nothing, I don't plan on protesting leaving this place.

I hug my knees in my seat while he continues to get his papers. Then there is a sharp pinch in my sholder, and then I feel tired and weak. I look up to see Damien holding a needle.

"D-Damien? What are you..."

"I'm sorry Skyler." Damien says simply.

Then I fade out into the familiar darkness.