An Apology

I'm awoken by the door being unlocked. I get up and rush to a corner by the door. Invisible...

A man walks in. He's the one who shoved me. I think I heard Damien call him Nate. I remember his thoughts about making sure I don't get away, and try my best to stay quiet. He has a duffle bag with him. He picks up the chairs and resets the table, then walks over to the walls and begins fixing them with supplies from his bag. I notice the door is cracked.

I slowly pull open the door and slid out, still repeating my invisibility thoughts. I walk down the hallway. I approach the elevator and press the button. A loud 'DING' rings throughout the halls. Crap. I should have expected an alarm to be set. This whole level probably knows where I am now... I have to hide. Nate comes rushing out of the room I was in before, he looks extremely alarmed. He closes the door and runs down the hall to a different room. Soon, several men rush out of the rooms and look frantic. Finally, Damien comes out, looking pissed.

"Who let her out?!" he shouts. No one says a word. I can see Nate walk out of a doorway behind a few guys. He's acting like he just heard the alarm. "Find her!" All of the men begin searching, feeling along the walls. I stand in the middle, moving out of everyone's way as they approach. A few younger looking guys have some false alarms, but they are dismissed almost immediately, and everyone goes back to work.

I realize how they are all missing me. They all think that I'll just stay by the walls, never moving. I decide to have a little fun. I poke a few guys in the side, making some shriek with surprise. I see Damian's back is turned and I take my chance. I would be nice to startle him as a little bit of payback. The last few days weren't the most welcoming...

Just as I poke Damien's shoulder, and try to make a run for it, Damien spins around and grabs my wrist with lightning speed. I try to wriggle away, but he just holds it tighter. I cry out in pain.

"Show yourself!" he demands. I try again to pry his hand off, and he aggressively twists my arm in a painful position. Tears form at my eyes, and I bite my lip. He then pulls me around, putting me in a head lock. He starts to suffocate me, almost like a boa constrictor. I can't take it anymore. Appear. He releases me and I fall to the floor.

He comes down to the floor and gets close to my ear. I expect him to yell at me, but he doesn't. He whispers in my ear "Who let you escape?" I just shake my head. I know Nate did, but it was an accident. I don't want to see anyone else executed because of my attempted escapes.

"Skyler," he threatens. "Tell. Me." I just keep shaking my head 'no'. "I got out on my own..." I reply. He sighs. "We both know that's a lie."

"I just don't want to see anyone else die." I say. He is quiet for a while, then sighs out the word "Okay..." He picks me up and carries me bridal style. We return to the room I was questioned in. He let me stand and I rushed to the corner and held my knees. I hear him leave. I just sit there for I don't know how long and waited.

I heard the door open and close. I look up and see Nate. He has a few metal rods in his hand, and his tool kit. My guess is he is the maintenance. He looks at me and gives me a half smile. Disappear. I don't want to talk to anyone. Nate sighs. He mutters "Just wanted to say thanks..." and gets to work. I watch him build. He moves away from the finished product, admiring his work. He has built a bed frame. He looks at the corner I'm in and walks out.

A few minutes later he returns lugging a mattress and some blankets. He sets up my bed. He looks to my corner and smiles a little. "For you." I look at him for a minute and get up. Appear. For some reason I don't want to startle him. He smiles more. I cautiously look at the bed, then him. He realizes that I don't want to be near him. He raises his hands in a surrender style and backs up, going to the other side of the room.

I walk to the bed and sit. It's the softest bed I've been in since I've come here. I return to hugging my knees, but on the new bed. "It's nice..." is all i say. Nate looks relieved.

"Hey, um, Skyler..." he says. "Thanks, for uh, you know." I give him a tiny smile. "Yeah" I reply. "No problem." He waves goodbye and leaves the room. That was different. I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but I think I just made a friend. In a place like this, it wouldn't hurt to have a few.

I curl down under the blankets and try to sleep. Right before I doze off fully, I hear the door open. I don't get up though. I just pretend to be asleep. Someone comes in and pulls a chair to the side of my bed. They sit, and the silence returns. I begin to doubt if there still there. Suddenly I feel a cold hand on my cheek.

I'm sorry you have to be here Skyler. The thoughts sound like Damien. But why would he be apologizing?

You even give off a presence like her. I just need to know if you are...

The sound of the door opening fills the room and the thoughts stop. Damien removes his hand. Dammit. So close to hearing what I was.

"Oh, sorry sir." says a voice of Nate. Silence fills the room.

"Why are you in here?" growls Damien.

"Sorry, I was just, looking at the wall, seeing if it was ready to be painted." Nate said, fear filling his voice.

"Well, new protocol. No one can come in here without clearance from me." Damien says. Probably fearing whoever let me out was trying to help me. Pfft, I wish.

"Oh, sorry, I haven't heard, should I leave?" asked Nate.

I heard the chair being moved back into place. "No, I was just leaving, carry on..." an annoyed Damien states. Ugh, no! I was so close to getting some answers. Thanks Nate...

The door opens and closes. After a minute, I hear it open and close again. I open an eye to find myself alone. I close them again and try to doze off, hoping of no more unexpected visitors tonight.

Hey guys! Please leave a vote if you enjoy. Comment how you feel. Constrictive criticism is welcomed! Thanks for reading! :)