Number Thirty-Three

“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” 
― 
Mahatma Gandhi

Thirty-Three

“What have you done?”

Falcon coughed out blood, and Faye had to close her eyes to prevent herself from seeing Krad’s pained expression. Because no matter how much she tried to be rational, she believed that Krad was in there, somewhere, just waiting for a chance to resurface.

She didn’t want to kill him, but if worse comes to worst, she had no other option. Because what was at stake was bigger than the two of them. Lives of hundreds rested on her shoulders. If she couldn’t get her happily ever after, at least she would hand them theirs.

She would have to betray Krad.

She pushed the knife deeper into his chest, twisting it so that Falcon could feel the excruciating pain.

She pushed him away, and he fell on his back. He was panting; he was pale. She hovered over him, tears trickling down her dirty face. “Go back to your body, please."

His shirt was stained crimson, and it was quickly spreading. 

"Falcon, please. He’s useless now. He’s dying. You wouldn’t want to die with him, right?”

“You. . . you planned this from the start.”

Faye pulled the knife out from his chest. She disgustedly threw the knife away. “Please. Falcon, I beg you. Let me meet him. Leave him.”

“And then what?” he sputtered. “You probably have. . . your minions watching over my body, and hand me to Kreuz Creed. . .”

“No. A mind reader will escort you out, but you’re escaping with Richard.”

His gray eyes hardened. “That boy . . . “

“Loves you so much,” she tenderly smiled, “So don’t hurt him more than necessary. Leave. You’ve done much more than make my father pay. You’ve made hundreds of innocent people suffer. You’ve made parents lose their kids, and children lose their families. You’ve done enough damage. You had your revenge. I hope your family and friends will now rest in peace.”

He raised his hand and wrapped his fingers around her throat.

“I just have to kill you, and it will be over.”

Stubborn old man.

“Go ahead,” she said, “and make my father hurt, but you’ll hurt your son as well.”

He froze. She stared at the dreadful hatred in his eyes.

“I am as important to Gneiss as Trisha is to you. Will you let your son undergo the same hell that you experienced? And it will be worse, to be forced to kill me with his own hands.”

Something shifted in his eyes, and Faye knew he understood. Falcon was a man who felt too much, had been driven to insanity by the pain, but once, he had been an agent of Creed. He had been friends with Kreuz, have known some of the people killed in battle. He had a wife and children he cherished with all his heart.

He was a villain, but he was also human who has wants, feelings, and dreams. When he lost his loved ones, he fell down the pit, turned his back on his values and took the wrong path up.