Number Sixteen

A/N:

Warning. There's a lot of foul language in this chapter. This is how they normally react given their conditions. Forgive them... and enjoy. =)

Humans are weak. We hurt the ones we love simply because we can. We are so sure that they won’t leave, that when they do, we regret not showing them exactly how much they mean to us.

Number Sixteen

As soon as his cellphone vibrated, Richard went on his feet in alarm. Calls couldn’t be good. And he was right, like always. One of his men reported seeing a certain blonde in the perimeter. Dammit! He unconsciously snapped the thin device into two. When he noticed the scrapped junk in his hand, he threw it against the wall.

Hissing, he marched to his room and grabbed the striped backpack from his closet. Cash. Fake IDs. A couple of shirts and a cap. When he was sure he had all that he needed, he grabbed his hoodie from the rack beside the door and rushed towards Atom’s room.

The boy was still deep in his sleep.

Richard sat on the occupied bed and leaned over with an outstretched hand. He pressed a finger on the middle of the boy’s forehead.

Atom’s eyes snapped open.

Richard flashed him a malicious grin. “Good dreams?”

The boy was too stunned and disoriented to speak. Instinctively, he scooted away, but Richard had his bandaged arm in a dead-grip. His skin went ice-cold in a matter of seconds.

“Oh, I'm so so sorry. You have an ouchie here, right?” His grip became vise-like, and soon, blood soaked right through the bandage. “Nice. Red's a pretty color.”

The boy choked back a sob, but said nothing. Probably trying to tolerate the pain.

In contrast with his kind smile, he yanked the boy to his side of the bed and snapped a steel bracelet around his left wrist. A white light blinked, activating the device. In a split second, it buried itself into the muscles. He set to bandage the bloody wrist and when he finished, no one would even realize something was hidden there. The seamless circular contraption fit snugly under his skin– of course, it was made especially for this problematic boy.

His tone and demeanor were a threatening and lethal combination. “You know exactly what this is. You know exactly how it works. You know the theory, but I don’t think you’ll understand how amazing this is until I test it out. Shall we?”

“N-No!” the boy begged in a croak. “Please…”

"How encouraging!"

He stepped away and snapped his fingers. In an instant, the mind-reader was screaming his lungs out in a juicy showcase of agony. Good thing the room was soundproof.

“He is… h-he is coming… you’ll pay…” the boy said as soon as he could manage to suck air.

Richard made sure that the mind-reader would get a glimpse of the vilest and nastiest torture he had in mind if ever the boy stepped out of line. The lampshade on the side table exploded. The light above them shattered to fragments. Electricity could be heard crackling through the air.

“Krad may be second-in-command, squirt, but don’t forget, he’s nothing but a nobody trying to make Rare Kind business his business.”

And then he turned on his Gift again, this time, running it through the bracelet. The boy let out another earsplitting shriek.