17~ 'Idiocracy'

|If you like it, why wouldn't you VOTE? right? XD|

The first thought that occurred to me was: Maybe I'd see a car heading back into the city and maybe I could hitch hike back; worse came to worse maybe I'd be able to walk back home. Seemed like a pretty good idea –idiotic, but not bad.

The hot sun was taking its toll on me. I needed water. It was setting, but the heat was seeping through the ground and making walking seem a bit daunting. Looking back the way I had walked I realized that I had not managed to walk much far at all. Picking up my pace I kept walking in the opposite direction of the building. I kicked random pebbles as I walked purely for entertainment. This was boring.

The sun was slowly disappearing behind the horizon and the darkness of the night was creeping in. Worse part was that I did not know where I was. Looking around I noticed that the greenery was gone. All of it was replaced by dry lands. Where even was I?

Dry and deserted. Where's the tumble weed?

That's when I heard it. The distinct crunch of pebbles. Someone was behind me. Someone was following me.

I was definitely going to get murdered.

My heart picked up its beat. My palms began to sweat. Just breathe and keep walking, I tried telling myself. It was useless, but there was no harm in believing. I slowly looked around, making sure not to turn back, in an attempt to see whether there was anyone around. On my left it was just bare land and the same on my right, but no one was around. Breathing heavily I kept walking pretending not to realize the presence behind me that was gaining pace.

Dear lord and saviour Jesus Christ, I am going to die. I thought to myself.

With each step they took the sound of the tumbling gravel made a sound that made the fear in me percolate to my blood stream.

Maybe you should stop and face them? A voice inside my head said.

"Derek, where are you going?" A familiar male voice said from behind me. I froze. How did he know my name? I swallowed in fear.

Slowly turning on my heels to face the stranger; then smiled uncomfortably. He did the same. "Going home?" I replied as I stared at him.

"I hope you know that it'll take you an entire day, probably longer, to walk home." He retorted, raising his brow.

"Why are you following me?" I asked ignoring his statement. I crossed my arms over my chest as I took several steps towards him.

"well I can't obviously leave you here alone..." He responded, "Who knows, you might get this genius idea to walk back and then get yourself killed." Oh how I would love to punch him right now. "Not to mention that you do seem to be a bit directionally challenged."

"What!!" Now, I was angry.

"The city is the opposite way." He said pointing to the stretch of tar road behind him. My eyes widened as I looked at it. Liar.

Wait...had he walked all the way here? Was he following me all this time?

"Were you following me this whole time?" I asked, slightly annoyed and astonished.

"No, not this whole time. It took a while to catch up to you." He responded.

Now I was just confused, "... you left your girlfriend behind to see whether I was ok?" I said trying to mock him but, wow, I sounded like a jealous girlfriend.