Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Oh, jeez, James. There it was. This Ben character's eyes got about as wide as saucers. I didn't think that happened in real life. He took a step back and appraised me. His eyes slowly took in my every feature. I tried to stand tall and look like whatever he thought a Luna should look like.

We stood there in silence for a while. I felt tense and so did James beside me, but he still seemed more relaxed than I did.

"She's not marked," Ben finally spoke.

James growled, "Well, don't get any ideas."

"James!" I exclaimed. How inappropriate for the situation.

"Huh," Ben grunted. "What pack are you from?" He narrowed his eyes and then studied me once more.

"Oh. Um," I paused and glanced up at James, "well, that's where it gets a little complicated."

Ben looked to James too and I felt my body relax. "James," he started then stopped. "I'm feeling overwhelmed," he muttered.

I giggled and James squeezed me into him. "Is that all you have to say?" I asked.

Ben looked at me in shock at my boldness and then smiled a small smile. "Well, I suppose congratulations is in order."

James chuckled. "Come on. Let's grab something to eat." His brow then furrowed and he gazed down at me. "Do you have to go to class, Angel?"

Class! Shit, I had forgotten where we were. How does he do that?

"Baby?"

I shook my head then smiled at him, "Something tells me that class is gonna have to wait for a bit." I glanced quickly at Ben and then back at James.

"Alright then. Let's go."

"I know a good burger place," I told them. "Does that sound good?"

Ben nodded.

"Whatever you want, Angel."

I shivered slightly. I was still getting use to that. "We can take my car," I said and then started to lead the boys to the parking lot.

When we got to the car James grabbed my arm. "Is it okay if Ben drives? I'd like to talk to you."

I glanced at Ben who was staring at us like we were the strangest thing on the planet. "Sure," I said.

James grinned at me, playful for the moment, and opened the back door for me, taking my keys and tossing them to Ben all the while.

Ben caught the keys effortlessly and slid into the drivers seat while James poked my side to get me to scoot over.

"You'll want to pull out over there," I said pointing. "Then take a left and then you're fifth right onto Baltimore St. It's Baltimore Burger."

"Left then fifth right. Got it," Ben said and then started the car up.

While I remembered, I quickly text Sphinx to get a ride home from Rayne. James grabbed my hand when I was done and without thinking I scooted close to him.

"Are you okay, Angel?"

"Okay? Yeah, I'm okay," I responded.

"I'm sorry your day was shit. I'm sorry I made your day shit," he told me and his face contorted into one of regret.

Oh, James. I shook my head, "It's not your fault, James."

His head tilted and he narrowed his eyes, "You said you were scared of me."