Chapter 41: Brown Against Blue

HERMIONE

"You'll stay safe, right?"

I turn and nod at Draco. "Of course," I say lightly. "And I'm only going to the Ministry of Magic. It's not like there'll be any dragons there."

He manages a smile as we both stand there silently. "You won't fail, Hermione. Don't worry."

The fear that I might be unable to help Angela stay out of Azkaban rises briefly as he says those words, but I conceal it the best I can. "Thanks."

I smile back at him and finally turn away. I don't want to miss the Knight Bus.

When I'm outside, I shiver briefly and look up at the gray sky. It's snowing so lightly that I barely notice it, but there's still half an inch on the ground.

I see Angela a few feet ahead of me, already climbing onto the bus. I swallow and walk towards her, steeling myself for the long trial ahead.

"Wait!"

I turn and almost keep walking when I see it's Ron that's called out. He's attempted to talk to me several times over the weeks, but they've become less frequent the more I give him the cold shoulder. Now, though, I see an iron determination in his blue eyes that tells me he won't be brushed off so easily.

I remember that feeling I had in Hogsmeade, and smooth my jacket with shaky hands. It's time.

I might as well just do it now. I might as well just talk to him.

He just wants to talk.

"Yes, Ron?"

The words slip out easily, which unnerves me. After so many weeks of ignoring him, it's almost disturbing how quickly I can talk to him.

"I want to tell you something, Hermione," he says quietly. "Before you go."

Again, despite my unwillingness, my voice isn't forced or tight. Instead, it's light and approachable. "Yes?"

"Just.. I want you to know something. To remember, later, when Malfoy breaks up with you."

I open my mouth furiously, but he's too quick.

"I understand why you broke up with me for him." His voice is quiet, resigned. Again, I'm about to say something — you were cheating on me, of course I'd break up with you — but he continues without a beat. "I didn't think you were that type of girl, honestly, to get caught up with those 'bad boys'. I didn't think you'd forget seven years of hatred after you start snogging a former Death Eater. But I suppose I don't know you as well as I thought."

My ears are ringing, my pulse so loud that I feel dizzy. The hostility filling me makes me spit out, "And I guess I didn't know you as well as I thought. You're surprised I'm snogging a former Death Eater? Look at Angela, Ron."

He falters, and the words pour out of me. All the resentment I've felt — previously contained by any past feelings I've had for him — hits him in a wave.

"I didn't think you were the one to ignore your girlfriend just because a pretty blonde girl shows up. I didn't think you would cheat on me, and then, when I'm dating someone else, attack him because you thought I was 'yours'. You bloody hypocrite, Ron, you — "

I pause for air and he cuts in before I can continue. "Hermione, it wasn't what you thought it was!"

At this point, I'm gripping my wand tightly and the urge to jinx him is so strong that I can barely resist. "Oh?" I ask coolly.