Chapter 23: By the Moonlight

Early update as promised :) Thank you again for helping this story to 85.K reads!

HERMIONE

I stumble for a second before standing up straight, looking around in interest. We're in a forest that doesn't seem to have any signs of life. No birds, insects, animals of any kind. A shiver runs down my back as I remember thinking of the dragon.

Ron clears his throat awkwardly. I turn to him, for a second forgetting everything that's happened to us. But then I remember Angela and my face calcifies. I look at Harry in askance and he tilts his head at an old, used path.

"Feels like old times, doesn't it?" Ron says wistfully, glancing around. He gives me a lopsided smile. "What does this remind you of?"

I smother the smile that's creeping up on my face and shrug, acting nonchalant. "The Dean Forest," I begin. I'm about to say more when I see a tree ripped from the ground on its side.

With a nervous tug Harry pulls me to a tree and I examine it warily. It looks like something pulled it out. Dragons don't do that.

It's also slightly scorched.

"Hermione, what do you think?"

I frown, the tip of my wand lighting up the trunk. "I don't know," I say uneasily. "Let's get to the village."

____________________________________

The witch that greets us looks confident and slightly arrogant. "Sapphire Donovan," she says, eyes lingering on Harry. "Pleasure to meet you, Harry Potter. I've heard so much about you three."

"We were told to - " he begins. She laughs, cutting him off.

"I know you want to help, Mr. Potter, but rest assured, we have everything under control."

I can't help the snort that escapes my mouth, and her sapphire blue eyes dart over and land on me.

We're currently gathered on sofas around a fireplace in one of the houses. When we arrived in the small village, three men immediately brought us to her - their leader. I looked over her for the first impression; and I wasn't that impressed.

I was willing to hear her out if it would help save the village - but it doesn't look as if this is going to do much good.

"Look," I interrupt hastily to prevent her from shooting a sullen remark, "we're completely sure you have this handled. But we'd like to offer some help. Isn't that right, Harry, Ron?" I nudge them; Harry pushes up his glasses.

"Ms. Granger, I've already told you that we have the situation under control..."

I scoff, this comment pushing me over the limit.

Ron gently nudges me with his shoulder and I settle back, the flames of the fire reflecting in my eyes.

"You know who I am," Harry says, suddenly seeming much older than seventeen. "You know what I've done - what we've done."

Finally there's some hesitation on Sapphire's face. He pushes on. "I've faced dragons before" - he laughs drily - "and I'm sure that a few extra hands won't hurt."

She gives a coy smile, surprising me. "Of course, Mr. Potter," she purrs, standing up. We do the same and she waves at the fire, the wand extinguishing the flames. "Come with me," she says. "I'll show you where it is."

As we leave the building she sidles up to him, blue eyes twinkling. She can't be more than twenty. I feel a stab of pity for her as she tries to cozy up to him but is met with unyielding green eyes and an uncomfortable grimace. Obviously his heart is given to Ginny. I remember Draco and wince.