Chapter 8

The day seemed to go by so slowly. I didn't talk to anyone. I just stayed quiet. During computer lab, Aaron said, "Marisa, I'm sorry. Honesty I was going to tell you, but I didn't know how."

"I don't care. Just leave me alone. I'm done with you lying to me all the time. I'm just not dealing with it anymore." I said, trying to stay calm.

I didn't exactly know what happened last night, but I couldn't get it off my mind. When I got on the bus after school, I looked for Aaron. He wasn't on yet, but when he did, I pulled him in my seat. He looked at me confused, and started to get up, but I pulled him back down and said, "Aaron, please? I really need to talk about something.

"Why should I listen to you? You're the one who wouldn't hear what I had to say earlier." he said, and I could hear his anger swelling up with every word.

"A-Aaron p-please? I can't stay at my house tonight. I just can't." I said with tears in my eyes, "H-he he was right there, and I didn't know what to do. You have to let me stay at your place tonight."

"Woah, woah, woah, wait. Who is this he?" Aaron asked.

"I-I don't know. Last night I started walking in the woods, and this guy just came near me. He said he was the one who helped me out of the fire, but I didn't believe him. He wanted me to forgive him for all of the pain he put me through. He-he tried to grab my arm, but I moved it just before he could. Then my alarm went off, but I don't even remember falling asleep, or even setting my alarm." I said with tears streaming down my face.

Aaron just looked at me as if I was crazy. "Marisa, you do know you don't have to make up some bullshit story just to talk to me." he said looking away.

"Aaron, please. You have to believe me. I-I don't know what to do. This isn't a lie, but if you don't believe it, I can't make you." I turned and stared out the window.

It was quiet the rest of the ride. When it was over, I started to stand, but Aaron pulled me back down. "What?" I asked, trying to stand back up.

He pulled me down once again, and said, "Are you okay? You really looked freaked out there for awhile."

"I'm fine. I just can't believe you-"

"I do believe you, Marisa, I really do. Look, I-I can't explain it, but for some strange reason, I do believe you." he said, cutting me off.

I was surprised. Earlier he said it was just a bullshit story, and now he believes it. "Marisa, you can stay at my place tonight. That is, of course, if you think it's safe." he said as we got off. I just smiled and nodded. I knew he would keep me safe.