Chapter Twenty Eight: May the Best Prankster Win

In celebration of the end of exams! But, not for Emma!

It’s pretty pathetic when you wake up before your alarm, especially on a Monday. But there I was, sprawled out on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. It was the first day back from the break and exams were already rearing their ugly heads. I hoisted myself out of bed and ambled over to the door and out into the hallway.

The early morning light was barely filtering in through the windows and I could see the frost forming patterns on the glassed pane. A shiver crept through me, reminding me that winter was here. I heard the muted noises coming from the kitchen and knew Luna was already up and cooking. Charlie’s door was open, which wasn’t abnormal, but his nightlight was off.

“Hm, that’s weird,” I whispered to myself.

Charlie never slept without that nightlight. Either he was already up or had just been so tired, he’d forgotten to turn it on last night.

I shrugged it off and turned for the bathroom, suddenly sensing my full bladder. I passed by Ricky’s room, and his door was also open. Now that was a rarity. Maybe him and Charlie were already up and watching TV downstairs or something.

I opened the door and flicked the light on.

“Surprise!” Ricky and Charlie shouted, popping up from beside the door.

I screamed, staggering back.

“What are you both doing in the bathroom?!” I screeched, catching my breath.

“Why don’t you come and look?” Ricky grinned, inching over so I could see past him.

I gasped. The whole bathroom had been turned into a giant tampon box. My tampons hung from the ceiling, attached by their strings. All of my toiletries that had been hidden so carefully were now spilled out across the floor. Man, I’d thought I’d hidden them pretty well!

“Told you I would get you back!” Ricky teased, and I was reminded of the episode with the anal rash cream. “Think of it as some pre-holiday decorations.”

“You’re going to pay for this, you hear me!” I growled, pushing past the now hysterical boys and started peeling the tampons from the ceiling.

I quickly collected all of the lotions and creams off the tiled floor and put them back into my bag. There were a few tampons I couldn’t reach, so I’d just have to let it go for now. Ricky and Charlie were still snorting at me from the door.

“What’s so funny?” I snapped.

“You’ll see,” Charlie sang.

I rolled my eyes and opened the cabinet to put my toiletries back. But inside the cabinet, waiting for me, was a giant slug. I pushed back, dropping the bag. The slug inched closer to me and I screamed.

“A SLUG!” I shouted, using my foot to slam the door shut.

Charlie and Ricky collapsed to the ground, tears rolling down their faces.

“Sh-she actually freaked out!” Ricky choked out between laughs.

“Where did that slug come from?!” I demanded.

“The garden! Tricky and I picked it out this morning!” Charlie smiled.

Charlie was too young to have thought of this little plot all by himself. That meant Ricky was the true mastermind to this. I leaned over and smacked him upside the head. He quit laughing to look up at me with a cocky grin.