29

"Thank you," I say with a smile as I accept the coffee from the girl's hand. She smiles at me warmly, and goes to help another customer.

"So let's go back to Harry's, yeah?" Zayn asks as we make our way to the car.

"Yeah," I nod and we climb into the car.

The drive back is silent, but I don't mind. Being with Zayn and not talking isn't awkward at all, like it is for most people. There's no need to talk when I'm around Zayn; it's just the way our friendship is.

When we get back, Danielle is sleeping on the couch with Harry's head in her lap. I frown at the sight in front of me but I don't say anything.

"That's weird," Zayn mumbles.

Before I can say anything, Zayn's phone vibrates in his hand and we peer at the screen. It's Louis.

"He's the last person I expected to call," he mumbles, answering the phone and putting it on speaker for me to hear.

"Hello? Zayn? Are you ok? I just heard about your accident, I would've called earlier but I had no idea," Louis' voice is frantic and he genuinely sounds worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine, broken bone and a few scratches here and there," Zayn says with a bored tone in his voice.

"Oh, alright," Louis says. "Hey listen... there's a party at Stan's, you two should come, it was real fun last time you guys were here. Liam and Niall will be there too,"

"No," Zayn doesn't hesitate to turn down the offer.

"Why not? Aw come on, it's my last party before I head home, come on man, I came here to see you and Stan so the least you can do it come to my party,"

"Fine," Zayn grumbles. "Only because you're leaving soon," Louis cheers and I laugh at his high-pitched cheer.

"Oh, and bring that Callie girl, we'd love to see her again," Louis says.

"No, I'm not bringing her,"

"Why not? It'll be a ton of fun,"

"Because a ton of crazy shit goes down at that party and having fifty guys crawl over her is the last thing she needs," Zayn barks into the phone.

"You'll be there, it doesn't matter, she'll be safe with you. Just bring her. Party's tonight at 8, see you there with Callie," he stresses the words 'with Callie' and hangs up before Zayn can argue back.

"You're not going," Zayn says while stuffing his phone in his pocket.

"I kind of want to," I whisper. He stops in his tracks before looking at me with a blank expression.

"Callie, you remember what happened at the last party, right?"

"Yeah, but that's different. At least you knew Liam. He didn't do any harm anyways," I argue back.

"I don't want you going," he says roughly.

"Unless you give me a valid reason why I shouldn't, I will," We've never fought before, and I'm worried about saying something that will push him over the edge, but I can't let him control me.

"Unless you give me a valid reason why you want to go, you won't be," Zayn steps towards me just so his face is inches from mine.

"Why do I need a valid reason? Why can't I just have some fun?" my voice is just above a whisper as his hazel eyes search my face, debating with himself whether he should let me go or not.

"Because I care about you, and I'm telling you, these parties are pretty extreme," he says equally as soft as me.

"I can take care of myself," I tear my eyes away from his but he gently tilts my head up so I'm looking at him again.

"No, you can't, not at a party like this," he whispers. "I can't stop you from going, but just be careful,"

"Ok," I nod and he sighs. I sit down on the couch that's not occupied by Harry and Danielle and flip the TV on, and Zayn settles down next to me.

A/N: my chapters are always so short um