20

**Flashback**

Jake, Danielle and I rush downstairs as we hear a scream in the living room. My mother is sitting on the couch in the living room, Her hand was clamped over her mouth, and the phone was on the ground next to her, the line dead.

"Mommy?" Danielle asks, frowning at our mother, who was sitting on the couch, not moving. It was almost 12 AM, and dad was not home, which almost never happened. Her eyes stared into nothing as she gradually turned her face to us, a single tear rolling down her cheek.

"Mom?" I ask, panicked. I sit on the couch, carefully wrapping my arms around her. Jake makes his way over and sits down on the opposite couch, studying her with a small frown.

"Mommy, what happened?" Danielle frowns, climbing onto her lap. She continues staring at the wall.

"Your father, he," she chokes back a sob before continuing. "He got in an accident,"

"What kind of accident?" I ask quietly.

"Car," it's barely audible as it escapes my mother's lips, dripping with sorrow and pain.

"Is he ok?" Jake's once silent, soothing voice asks hesitantly. My mom starts to cry harder and shakes her head. Danielle frowns and Jake scoops her up, placing her gently next to him. We wait for an answer, half knowing the answer already.

"No, he's not," she whispers.

**Present**

"Callie, wake up," a voice whispers, and I open my eyes to see Danielle staring at me, slightly frowning.

"What time is it?" I mumble.

"Nine," she says. "Look at the news,"

I look at the TV and see it's turned into the local news, and surprisingly, mine and Danielle's faces are on the screen. Bright red words saying "MISSING" caption our faces.

"Reports from the girls' mother states the girls didn't return home last night," the reporter with a bushy mustache says.

I can't believe this.

"If you've seen these two girls, Danielle and Callie Montgomery, please call the missing person's hotline number below,"

I reach across the mattress and shut the TV off. We don't say anything or a while.

"So we're like, wanted now?" Danielle whispers.

I don't say anything as I pick up my phone and dial my home phone. My mother picks up first ring.

"Hello?"

"Mom," I growl.

"Callie, where are you? Are you ok? Is Danielle with you? Why haven't you-"

"Shut up,"

The line is silent.

"Excuse me?" she whispers.

"You heard me, shut the hell up. You're the worst mother in the world and I don't trust you anymore. You broke that trust after you broke the many promises you made to me. You're not fit to be a mother. I can take care of myself and Danielle perfectly fine. Much better than you can ever. I realize you're still not over dad's death but neither am I, neither are any of us. That didn't give you the right to become an alcoholic and leave your three kids to care for themselves, to leave them when they needed you most. This family is broken beyond repair. There is no family, just four people who are related by blood. I lost whatever family I had the second dad died." I look over to Danielle crying silently, but I ignore her. Mom needs to know I'm not gonna take her bullshit.

More silence across the line.

"Callie..."

"Don't try to apologize, I'm not going to listen. I'm only calling you because I want you to stop it with the missing person's thing. We are not 'missing', mom, we are leaving. Not coming home."

"You're still only 17," she points out.

I hang up.

A/N: short chapter im sorry

omg my school got flooded lmao