33

A/N: guys what do you guys think about midnight memories?!?!?!? i downloaded it LEGALLY (lol) yesterday and i've been blasting it since. by christmas my family will probably know the album by heart lmao. i love Happily, Better Than Words, Little White Lies, Diana, Don't Forget Where You Belong and You And I and ITS JUST PERFECT OVERALL OK

INSPIRATION OF THE CHAPTER: Through The Dark by the boys :)

-

"Let's watch a movie!" Danielle shouts as we finish dinner. Harry and Zayn were slouched in their chairs, still trying to recover from the delicious dinner I had cooked them.

"Danielle, we just watched a movie," I laugh.

"You didn't, Harry and I did," she shoots back. She and I had made our way to the sitting room in front of the TV, and she was flipping through Netflix looking for a movie.

"Well, it depends on what movie we're watching," Zayn says, walking into the sitting room. He plops down on the leather couch next to me.

"Let's watch a Comedy please, I'm still recovering from being mindblown by Inception and your five-star cooking," Harry says cheekily.

"How about Crazy, Stupid, Love?" Danielle suggests.

"Never seen it before, so yes," Harry approves. I nod in agreement, when my phone vibrates in my hand.

Looking at the screen, I gasp slightly. All heads turn towards me curiously.

"What is it?" Zayn asks.

"It's my mother," I respond quietly. You can tell Zayn is shocked too by the perfect 'o' his lips form.

"Are you going to answer?" Danielle asks me. I look over to her and my heart burns with rage and pain at the sight of her wide eyes. The last time Danielle saw mom was when she threw a beer bottle at her. My eyes linger on the scar on her precious cheek and the phone stops buzzing. Moments later, it starts buzzing again, and I pick up this time.

"Hello?" my voice is indifferent, showing no emotion whatsoever. Danielle, Zayn and Harry watch me carefully and I bite my lip, stopping myself from saying nasty things to my mother.

"C-C-Callie," she sobs.

"What do you want?" I spit.

"Callie I'm so sorry," she sobs into the phone.

"About what?" I mutter. The last thing I want to do right now is talk to my mom and hear her apologize for the fifty billionth time.

"Please come back home, I need you, I'm so sorry, I really will change for you and Danielle and Jake and I'll make it all up to you," she sobs. "I haven't touched alcohol ever since you left and I threw it all out,"

I don't say anything for a while. I mean, how could I? This was too much to process at one time. Had she really not touched alcohol since I left? Should I believe her?

"Um..."

"Please say something," she begs. "Come back, we can be a family again," I bite my tongue and contemplate my options. I could either hang up and never have to deal with her ever again, or give her one last chance and see if this family is really fixable.

Who am I kidding? It's not. My family is nothing. Whatever happens, we'll never be able to forget the past. It's broken beyond repair.

"Callie? Are you still there?" she whispers. I clear my throat and compose myself quickly.

"Uh, yeah," I feel Danielle's eyes burning into me but I can't bring myself to look at her.

The next thing I say will change everything. I could fix my family, or I could walk away from it.

"I'm sorry, you've caused us too much pain," I feel a tear roll down my cheek and I quickly brush it off. "You've done some pretty terrible things. Things I can't forget. And every time I see you, it just reminds me of every crime you've committed. I've given you more second chances than you deserve. There's a reason I left. You said you would change, but I watched you screw up time after time. I'm doing what's best for both Danielle and I. You had so many chances to prove yourself to us. But you didn't. I'm sorry," I finally look up to Zayn, Danielle and Harry; Danielle's is shocked, her eyes brimming with tears, Zayn's forehead is creased, and it's obvious he's deep in thought, and Harry has a prominent frown on his face.

"Callie..." my mom's voice is so quiet I almost miss it.

"Don't ever call again." I take a deep breath before saying what could possibly be the last words I will ever say to her in my lifetime... "Bye, mom," I whisper and without another word, I hang up.

"What did she say?" Danielle asks hesitantly.

"She begged for forgiveness, and I shut her down," I say simply. "I had to do it."

All of a sudden, I feel like a giant weight had just been lifted off of my shoulder. My mother had been nothing but a burden to me; and for me to finally let go of her was the best feeling. I felt like I won a battle that I had been fighting for eleven years. I finally got rid of one of my demons; I was one step further to being free. My hand subconsciously finds its way up to the flock of birds on my right collarbone and I smile, a real, happy smile.

Goodbye forever, mother.