Chapter Eighteen

Ariana’s POV

          I woke up once again feeling warm; opening my eyes I quickly found the reason why. I went to pull my arm off of Gabriel’s sleeping body next to me but with just the slightest of moments caused him to grab it and pull me closer. I groaned as the movement sent pain shooting through my side and he instantly woke up looking around the room for any danger. I took the moment of distraction to pull my arm back and rolled over to lie on my back again.

          I don’t know why I kept waking up with my body entangled with his but to say it was frustrating would be an understatement; to be honest it down right pissed me off. I guess I did know why I kept waking up that way, it was because of my stupid wolf; she was betraying me while I was asleep wanting to get closer to her mate when all I wanted was to get as far away from him as I could. I stared up at the ceiling wondering what awkward conversation we were bound to have next; I didn’t have to wait long to get my answer.

“How are you feeling?” Gabriel asked once he settled back down realizing that there was no threat in the room.

“Fine.” I replied not wanting to have to talk with him and hoping my short answer would give him a hint.

“Do you need anything, water, pain medicine?” He asked.

‘Yeah you leaving me the hell alone would be nice.’

“No.” I replied.

“Can I check your side or would you rather me have a nurse do it?” I could hear the pain in his voice as he spoke and as much as I didn’t want him touching me I didn’t really feel like seeing anyone else right now either.

“You can do it.” I said turning my head to the side to face him; I didn’t miss how his face lit up a little at my words.

“Let me know if I hurt you, ok?” He said as he moved to the other side of the bed and started to remove the bandages.

          I watched him as the bandages came off and his jaw tensed as he looked over the wounds. I don’t know why but it hurt me to see him upset about me being hurt. I’m supposed to be pissed at him, I’m not supposed to care what he thinks or feels; yet I somehow can’t stop myself. Part of me, most of me wants nothing more than to be as far away from him as I could get; another part of me want to feel his touch on my skin, feel his lips pressed against mine like they were yesterday.

‘Agh stop it Ari! You need to get your head straight. You are supposed to hate this guy for what he has done to you, not want to feel his lips on your skin!’

          He told me to hold still while he went into the bathroom and got a towel and some antiseptic to clean out the wounds. The cool feeling of the soft cloth gently rubbing against my skin was both wonderful and painful at the same time; it’s crazy how you could have those two feelings mixed into one, almost as crazy as having love and hate for the guy kneeling next to my bed cleaning my wounds. I did my best not to flinch as he finished cleaning them out, it was painful but the antiseptic left them feeling cool and refreshed.