Making Changes

She was in town for a meeting with Jennifer and a few producers. Kristian took a walk down the streets of Brooklyn, New York to clear her head of all the Janet thoughts.She passed countless cafe windows but one caught her eye. It was a coffee shop with an open mic night poster up. She chuckled remembering how she got discovered in a place just like that. She did not know what made her walk in but she did.

She went to buy a coffee from the barista when a short haired woman stepped on stage. She did not seem to special at first glance and Kristian turned away to pay the man.She was not expecting the voice that came from the short woman. Kristian turned back to the woman who sang an old church song and sipped her coffee. Kristian was impressed. She listened and waited for the woman to get off stage before approaching her.

"Excuse me miss?" the woman turned to Kristian and she could tell that the woman recognized her. "I just wanted to say that was amazing. You can really sing."

The woman grinned from ear to ear at the compliment but still said nothing.

"Im in the music business myself."Kristian noticed the cross around her neck and the United Christian College ID badge on her book bag. "I know my music may not be your thing but maybe I can have your name; you know to pass it on to the right people."

The silently shy girl quickly nodded and pulled out a slip of paper from her bag and scribbled on it. She gave it to Kristian before excusing herself saying she was late for a class. Kristian noted the deep voice before looking down at the paper.

It read: TONI BRAXTON 555-234-5679.

A FEW HOURS LATER

Kristian sat with Jennifer as they had a meeting with Puffy Daddy and Kristian home in New York. She listened as Puffy aka Sean Combs went over possible songs for Jennifer to sing. Her boy Tupac and Sean's friend Biggie had both come along and they were in the back playing pool. Kristian listened deeply to every word Puffy said, making sure he was not leading Jennifer down the wrong road. Her ear perked up when she heard him say...

"All of this can be released under my new label, Bad Boy."

"Wait, no..no..we didn't talk about that? Im with Death Row. That's where we want to do this record."

"I know thats what you want but its my people making these records." Puffy said trying to have his way with her. Now Kristian and Puffy knew each other but Kristian also knew how the music business worked, especially rap, they thought less of the woman. Kristian was no ordinary woman .

"And its my girl performing the songs." Kristian challenged looking Puffy dead in the eyes.

"Im not selling my stuff to that record company. With all respect in the world, word on the street is Dr.Dre is leaving and so is Snoop. Plus I dont want to work with Suge Knight. You should be able to understand that." Puffy spoke more to Jennifer than Kristian.

Kristian raised an eyebrow at Puffy but she knew this was ultimately Jennifer's decision so she left it alone.

"I get it but I want to be wherever Kristian is. I know her. I know she is going to look out for me."Jennifer looked back at Kristian for reassurance. She gave Jennifer a half smile.

Puffy looked back at Kristian. "So where do we go from here?"

Kristian sat back in her seat for a second and thought. She had been thinking of doing something for awhile but it was a huge move and she knew some people would not take it well. She looked at Puffy thinking about his talent and the connections he had. He had artist but no money and that was the exact thing Kristian had a lot of. Then she looked at Jennifer and she knew it was the right decision.

"How would you feel about me leaving Death Row and become partners with you on Bad Boy?"

Oh holy crap. We all know ho bad the East v. West coast beef got. Do we really want Kristian in the middle of that? Please comment and tell me what you want and how you liked this chapter.

Shouts out to Loyaljackson16, ValerieGamache, janetjackson50, and boxbraidbeauty for supporting my works. Thank you!