43. Morna (2/3)

She lurched up, grasping at him with all the fear of her many months alone. Her arms wound around his shoulders, crushing him to her as she sobbed. His hair pressed against her cheek, smelling like him. A smell she'd thought she'd forgotten. His eyelashes brushed her skin.

"How is this possible? Am I dead?" she choked out, not wanting to let him go even enough so she could look at him. She just held him, pressed to his shoulder, trying not to wake up from whatever dream this was.

Afton held her in return, his arms warm against her back. His fingers pressed into the groove of her spine, supporting her as she sagged against him. The sound of his breath was like a heavenly orchestra in her ears. "I'm so sorry, Morna. I'm so sorry. I tried to come back as soon as I could."

As she leaned back, just enough to see his face, she realized with certainty that this was no dream. She was not locked in a nightmare or a beautiful dream; she was in reality. She was alive, and he was alive.

She sobbed, almost harder than she had when he'd died. It felt worst, like her body was rejecting everything. It was a reality she couldn't hope to accept, a thing so good that it was impossible. How could he be back with her? HIs dying had seemed impossible, but now his being alive felt even more so. It was a cruel trick, but one she would have accepted again and again if it meant he would stay with her.

"You're alive," she wept, before pulling him to kiss him. She poured it all into his skin, her grief and relief and pain and pure joy. She spilled out onto him, knocking him almost over as she kissed him and kissed him until her lips hurt.

After a few moments, he pulled away and held her face between his hands. "We can't let them see me here," he whispered. "Someone is coming to get you. I have to leave before they get here."

Panic rushed through her. "No, no! Stay with me! You can't leave," she clasped at his clothes.

"I'll come back, I promise," he said, his eyes shifting behind her. "I've been watching you. You've seen me. I won't abandon you."

"Afton, I can't go back. I need you," she said.

"Someone wanted me dead, Morna. And my brother and your sister sent you to this place. It's too dangerous for anyone to know I'm alive. They might try to kill us both again," he said.

Morna pressed her forehead to his, watching every movement of his face. She drank it all in, barely wanting to breathe unless it should all shatter around her. "Let's just leave," she said, desperate to keep him with her. "Right now."

Afton shook his head. "They're nearly here. We'd never outrun them. You must go with them, but I promise you I'll get you out as soon as I can." He kissed her, his hands tangling in her hair. "I promise you." He started to rise, but Morna clung to him, pulling him back.

Tears spilled down her cheeks, hysteria rising. "No, don't go!"

"Morna, they may kill us. I don't know if they are in league with whoever shot me."

"How do I know you won't disappear again if I let you go? How do I know this is real?"

"It's real, believe me. I'll tell you what happened once I get you out. But right now we don't have time." He pried her hands from his sleeve, stepping back as she stared after him. She couldn't get to her feet, the emotions of it all overwhelming her. She could only watch as he melted backward into the shrubbery and woods. He was mostly out of sight when a group of men appeared from the asylum's lawn, but he still mouthed something to her.

I love you.

Morna dissolved as he disappeared from view, and someone grabbed her shoulder.