24. Morna (1/3)

A week since Brenna had gotten married-- and a few days since the barons had gone home to Ittal-- Morna and Afton finally managed to talk for the first time in Anjeluund. Of course, they'd exchanged pleasantries and a few formal conversations, but this marked the first time that they were able to speak about whatever they wanted and for however long they wanted.

The night before, she'd slipped him a note during dinner, asking if he'd meet her in the stairwell near her rooms. He'd given her a small nod over dessert, and here they now were on the next morn. Afton leaned against the recessed window, his hands in hers, a smile on his face. He prattled on about nothing in particular and Morna basked in his presence. He could talk of accounting and botany, and she'd still hang on every word. Just hearing his voice was enough.

A natural pause came to his chatter, and in that silence something grew. A gentle pressure in Morna's chest, a look in Afton's eyes. He leaned forward, his hand brushing against her neck. Morna caught her breath, eyes fluttering shut...

"Oh! Sorry, sir!"

Morna's eyes snapped open to see the boy-of-all-work quickly trying to speed back down the stairs.

"Wait!" Afton called, and the boy halted abruptly. "You don't have to leave. This is the servant's stairwell, we're the ones who shouldn't be here. You run on up, and we'll be on our way."

The boy ducked his head while wringing his hands in front of his stomach.

Obviously, he was not going to be the one to make the first move. Afton gave Morna an apologetic half-smile, and took her hand to lead her down the stairs, past the boy-of-all-work. Once they were safely behind him, the boy sped up the stairs, off to deliver a message or clear a fireplace, or whatever it was he'd been sent upstairs for.

"Let's go somewhere we won't be stumbled upon," Afton said, pulling Morna along with him as he descended two more stories to the subterranean kitchen. He pushed open the door, startling the old cook who nearly dropped the slice of meat he was salting.

"We're only passing through," Afton said.

The cook watched them as they crossed the room and slipped out the doorway that lead into the back courtyard. Morna felt a blush growing as Afton and she sprinted across the neglected gardens. What would the servants be thinking of them? And would any of them spill the sightings to Robert or Robbin? The thought of the two older Glenfarrow men finding out was almost enough to cause Morna to pull her hand from Afton's grasp, but when she tried he tightened his grip and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Just on the other side of this hedge and we'll be out of view of the house," he said.

And, when they circled around the long hedge that marked the border of the garden, the house did sink from sight. The hedge sat on a decline that ran straight to the sheer drop off that ran for miles behind the Glenfarrow land. As they walked down the slight slope, heading for the drop, Morna caught sight of the glittering gray expanse of the White Bay. Sucking in a breath she dug in her heels, forcing Afton to stop. He gave her a quizzical glance, but when he saw the way she stared out at the ocean an understanding dawned on him.

"You haven't seen it since you arrived, have you?" he whispered, stepping back so that he stood by her side. She shook her head slowly.

"No. I felt it, though. It's a strong call."

"You're stronger," Afton said. "You haven't even once tried to come down here, much less down to the beach."

"Maybe because I've been too busy trying to make sure that Brenna is..." She was going to say safe, but halted when she remembered that the person she was guarding against was Afton's own brother. So she swallowed her original words and supplied new ones. "Happy."

"I think she was awfully disappointed in our lack of luxuries," Afton said, but a smile marked his face as being not hurt by it.

"She'll be the happiest person on the entire earth once you're king and she can lord over everyone as the princess."

"If I'm ever king," Afton said, his gaze sweeping toward the White Bay. Revours lay on the other side somewhere, hidden in Quar while he gathered more troops. Morna shivered at the thought.

"Let's not talk about those kind of things," she said, plucking his sleeve. "We've had enough planning and strategizing and jockeying for position. I was to just have today with nothing to fear and nothing to worry about."

"Well, then, we'll take a nice walk," Afton said, his eyes flashing with mischief.

"What are you going to do?" she asked, warily raising an eyebrow.

In reply, Afton took her arm and led her to the stone steps carved into the side of the cliff that overlooked the beach. Morna balked at the very top, but Afton's gentle insistence got her feet moving again. They slowly wound down the jagged stairway, the ocean breeze lifting the curls around Morna's face. She closed her eyes, the sound of the water crashing over her.

This was not what she'd had in mind when she'd told him she wanted a worry free day.