12. Brenna (1/2)

Brenna found pride in herself for convincing the Glenfarrows to make another visit to Ittal so soon after the celebration for her great uncle. They'd been barely gone two weeks before Brenna wrote a quite stunning letter inviting them to the traditional hunting party of the Grand House. She'd neglected to mention that only their group would be staying in the Grand House and had made it seem as if all the disenfranchised nobles had rooms there. Let the Glenfarrows find out when they were safely tucked into the Grand House. They wouldn't dream of moving out to an inn once their things were already unpacked.

Their arrival wasn't until the afternoon, and Brenna made sure to schedule the ball for the next evening. The hunting party wasn't always preceded by a dance, and really it hadn't been since before her great uncle left the throne. But Brenna despised the dry and quiet dinner that had replaced it, so she dug up the old tradition and placed it on display. A ball grander than even Great Uncle Roma's birthday. She'd made sure to have all the rooms in the west wing properly aired and cleaned this time. The Glenfarrows each had their own bedroom, each more grand than the last. The ballroom was furnished once again, and the stately dining room had also been fitted.

Truth be told, they couldn't afford the grandeur that Brenna went to. She'd had to take out credit with nearly every shop in town, as well as all the food vendors, but it would be worth it. She only had to make one supreme show, let them see that Ittal still had something to offer, and she was confident she could hook Afton Glenfarrow.

So, in debt but looking fabulous, Brenna swept through the double doors to the ballroom and nodded as her guests applauded her politely. Her aunts and Morna were at her sides, each dressed in a new gown and wearing one of the priceless diadems that Brenna had discovered secreted away so long ago. This had been her greatest triumph, convincing the aunts to let them take out a few of the less valuable pieces. They were merely scrolling silver with lesser gemstones in teardrop shapes, but they caught the light in a fantastic manner. A stroke of brilliance on Brenna's part, she was sure. No one had such royal apparel anymore.

The musicians began to play, sweeping those who were still young enough to dance into the middle of the room where they paired off. Brenna led the way to the seats along the wall where Great Uncle Roma had been set up. She made sure to maneuver Morna into the seat by his side, and took the one that sat next to a procession of chairs that were empty. Perfectly inviting for any Glenfarrow men to take up residence in. She arranged her cloud of yellow skirts and set her head on a slight tilt that left the side of her neck alluring on display.

Aunt Nora was the first to spot the men that this whole ball had been pulled together for. She leaned over Great Uncle Roma and Morna's laps to frantically tap on Brenna's arm. "By the windows!" she hissed. Her dog, agitated by all her bending, yipped sharply. Brenna curled her lip at its protruding eyes and once again regretted that she hadn't had the time to convince her aunts not to bring along the little beasts.

"They look rather dour this evening," Morna remarked, before having to quickly steady Great Uncle Roma. He blinked slowly at her, his mind far off.

"They're not dour, that's just their faces," Brenna replied. Though they did look a bit more serious than usual, and when they'd arrived yesterday they'd only said a quick greeting before going to their rooms without dinner...

Brenna surged to her feet. Aunt Nora and Perta blinked in surprise.

"Darling, what are you doing?" Perta asked through a strained smile. The plan had been to have the Glenfarrows come to them, but now Brenna wasn't so sure that would happen when she wanted. Time to take matters into her own hands. She'd caught Afton's attention before, and she could capture it the same way once again.

"I'm feeling a bit restless. I'll take a stroll," she said airily, pulling out her fan and moving languidly around the edge of the room. She passed by old acquaintances and talked with each briefly, occasionally throwing a look over her shoulder to see if the Glenfarrows had noticed her popularity yet. No such luck. She stifled a sigh of frustration and dipped a curtsey to yet another old man and his wife. It took her nearly twenty minutes to make it around to the other side of the room, and by then her mouth felt dry from all the little pleasantries she'd made along the way. She fanned herself, setting the loose little tendrils of hair around her ears swaying flatteringly.

Afton was talking to his father, and was the only one of the three relations who bared anything close to a smile. His father was more agitated, gesturing in sharp and close movements. Robbin, standing almost as if he didn't want part in the conversation, frowned magnificently at his brother. Brenna lifted a foot and set it down carefully so that her heel rolled underneath her. She careened forward, a brilliant blur of yellow and chestnut, and fell directly into Afton's arms. He caught her around the waist and she gripped his forearms as his eyes widened at the shock of suddenly being draped with a girl.

"I'm so sorry," she said, gazing innocently into his eyes. "Someone bumped into me and I must have lost my balance..."

"It's all right," Afton said, righting her. She smoothed out her bodice and pretended to be winded. Afton placed a hand on her arm in concern. His father and brother were less interested, their faces stony and now directed out to the dancers.

"Maybe I should sit down for a moment," Brenna said, smiling weakly and leaning into Afton a little more than she needed to. Afton nodded and guided her to the nearest empty chair, which was unfortunately between an old woman sleeping and a rather large gentleman. Brenna squeezed in.