12. Brenna (2/2)

"I hope you aren't injured," Afton said, standing uncertainly in front of her. She shook her head while secretly testing her foot under her skirts. Thankfully, the purposeful twisting hadn't hurt it beyond a slight ache.

"No, it was only a small tumble," she said, and then tilted her head to one side. "I am glad that it afforded me a chance to speak with you. It seems almost as if we've been missing each other ever since you arrived."

"Oh. Well, we received news that Revours has brought in a force of a thousand Quars, which is against the treaty the High Priest had us sign," Afton said. "So my father has been engrossed in reworking battle plans and sending off flurries of letters. I'm afraid that means I've been caught up in it as well, which doesn't lend itself to visiting with young ladies—no matter how charming they may be."

Brenna, forgetting for a moment that she was supposed to be alluring, leaned in a little. "Have you tried attack the Quar tundra across the White Bay? The deer migrate there, and if you can threaten the Quar's main food supply, the warriors will be forced to return home to help replenish the stores."

Afton blinked slowly, his eyebrows drawn down. He seemed to be thinking about it, which was another reason she knew he'd eventually come around to offering for her. She'd been studying his country since his last visit, and she had a variety of ideas on how to win the war.

"Father wouldn't like it," Afton finally said. "The White Bay is too shallow at this time of the year for the frigates to make it across. We'd have to split the troops into too many smaller ships, and Revours has made a deal with the Silent Sea pirates. It would cause too much trouble to make it worth it."

Brenna was about to remark that at least she had a plan and wasn't just locking herself into her room, but thought better of it before her tongue loosened. She merely pretended as if it didn't matter to her and shrugged. "At any rate, I think you need to take more breaks from your war," she said. "Ittal has many diversions that would ease your worries for a few hours."

"Yes, I don't doubt it," Afton replied. "Unfortunately, I don't have much a choice where my father is concerned."

"Posh! You're the future king of Anjeluund. Surely your father would allow you some leisure time on your visit to our country."

Afton laughed. "I assure you that tomorrow I will be there for the hunt, and I will be present for all the sights you wish to show me."

"Hurrah!" Brenna said.

Their conversation then took a turn for the more mundane, treading between the ballroom, the weather, and the new dances. Brenna wanted to be a bit more exciting, but whenever she moved the conversation to something flashy or a bit scandalous, Afton steered it back to calm waters. She began to grow impatient, her smile becoming more forced. He had absolutely no interest in anything interesting! For a young man that stood poised to rule a kingdom, he was remarkably quiet. Not a hint of a gossip.

Afton's eyes kept scanning the room as they spoke, and he began to subtly move backward. Brenna knew she was losing him, but couldn't figure out how to snatch his attention again. She quickly brought up horses, knowing that he enjoyed them... but too late. He seemed to catch sight of someone he knew, lifting a hand in greeting. He turned back to Brenna to briefly excuse himself, and she was suddenly left alone in between her two geriatric bookends.

Brenna allowed herself a few moments of sulking before setting her mind to planning up some way of engaging Afton again. She stared into nothing as her brain whirred, rejecting a fake summons as well as loosing one of the annoying little dogs on him. She'd just begun to whip up an elaborate ruse involving flirting with Robbin to perhaps draw Afton's notice, when her eyes unconsciously landed on her sister across the room. This wouldn't have been anything to draw her out of her reverie, except that in the seat Brenna herself had vacated now sat Afton.