35. Brenna (2/2)

The hallways gave her a taste of fresh air through the windows. With them she tried to clear her mind and think of nothing more than feeling the cool air against her skin and the prospect of whatever delicious meal the castle kitchens came up with. They never disappointed, and she'd never grow used to the abundant displays they set up for something as mundane as breakfast for herself and Robbin.

It was as she thought of pork cooked in sugar and toast with melted cheese, that she stumbled upon a cluster of servants near one of the entrances to a small corridor. Slowing, she considered turning away before they spotted her, and thus avoiding whatever dilemma they were evidently in, but before she could make a decision a small maid with two braids looked her way.

"Oh, your highness!" the girl said, rushing forward and quickly bobbing into a curtsey. "Thank goodness you've come! It's Lady Morna!"

"What's wrong?" Brenna asked, casting her eyes around for her sister. Only the frightened faces of the servants met her gaze, and the ones farthest away—half down the corridor—were covered in water.

Water.

Brenna drew in a sharp breath and pushed past the girl before waiting for her to answer. The servants parted as she made her way to the shadowy corridor and just barely made out the outline of someone laying on the ground against the wall.

The sound of ragged breathing filled the air, and as Brenna knelt she felt water seep into her skirts. Nearby, a large wooden bucket was upturned, the source of the water.

"Morna!" Brenna said, feeling along the prone body until she came to the head. Morna's hair was plastered to her face, but thankfully her breath was hot and fairly steady against Brenna's hand. "What did you do?"

"I didn't mean to," Morna rasped. The way she sucked in breath, Brenna suspected that she very nearly almost stumbled upon her sister's dead body instead.

"Why would you do this? You have something to protect now, Morna," Brenna said, lowering her voice so that the servants would hear. Morna's breath strained and then was joined by the sounds of quiet crying. Sighing heavily, Brenna wrapped an arm around her sister's shoulder and helped her to her feet.

As they slowly made their way out of the shadows, the servants circled. Worried faces swan before them, blocking their path. "Someone please fetch the physician," Brenna snapped, glaring. The servants received the message and broke off. No doubt they were headed to spread the news to everyone they could.

With her arm still around Morna, Brenna guided her back to her bedroom, where she stripped her of her clothes and replaced them with a dry nightgown. Pulling down the covers, she guided Morna into the bed and turned to stroke up the fire. The whole time Morna kept up a whimpering sort of crying, as if she couldn't find the strength to actually sob.

"Just calm down, dear. The doctor is coming." Much to Brenna's chagrin, the definitive proof that Morna was pregnant would also come with the doctor. His examination would remove any doubt over her condition, and Brenna knew they had no chance of his silence, no matter what they paid him. Well, there was no helping it. Let him confirm the child, and they would be done with the guessing.

"Brenna," Morna whimpered.

Brenna slowly turned to look at her sister. She looked so small in the bed, pale and surrounded by her dripping hair and a ridiculous amounts of dark blankets. Her hands shook on top of the coverlet, her eyes swimming and fixed on Brenna.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't meant to do it," she whispered. "I was just walking and the water was there... It came over me like it used to..."

"I know, like it used to before Afton," Brenna said, approaching the bedside and patting her sister's hand gently. "It's all right, you're safe now. Just try to rest a little before the doctor arrives. You need it."

Morna looked as if she might resist, but Brenna cut her rebellion off with a firm frown and a shake of her head. Giving in, Morna closed her eyes and rolled to her side, curling in over her stomach. Brenna watched her for a moment until her breathing evened out and she knew she'd fallen asleep, and then walked back to the far wall by the fire.

Kneeling, she stroked it to warm the air quicker, and then stood up to stare into the flames. Hands on hips, pensive, her mind retreated back to the conversation she'd just finished with Robbin.

In the castle, Brenna could not constantly keep an eye on Morna. Either a guard would be ordered to hound her every step, or a companion would be tasked with keeping her safe, or simply she'd be locked in her room unless accompanied by someone Brenna could trust. How would that be any different from an asylum? She'd be isolated, cut off from doing what she wanted when she wanted. It was barely better than the life of a prisoner, and she would have the added burden the people who supported her child's ascension to weigh on her shoulders.

Perhaps sending her somewhere in the country would be better. Someplace where the memories of Afton would not swirl around her at every inevitable mention of his name, or glance at Robbin's similar face. Here, in the place that might have been Afton's, Morna would never escape the crushing grief that haunted her. In the country, she might hope for some peace.

It didn't make matters any worse that it would also clear up some problems for Brenna and Robbin as well. The people might be less willing to overthrow Robbin once the news that Morna was headed for an asylum was circulated.

Honestly, the asylum was a situation where everyone could win. Never mind that Brenna felt a slight twinge in her chest that she was perhaps forcing pieces to fit where they wouldn't normally. It was a good plan, and one that might stop another war. Robbin had been right, and this episode of Morna's only proved it.

She settled it in her mind just as the doctor arrived, trailed closely by Robbin and a few servants. She told the doctor the abbreviated story, and he gently woke Morna to study her symptoms. Brenna took the moment to step back to where Robbin stood like a heavy statue, staring at her sister with eyes she couldn't quite read.

"You're right. It's best if she's somewhere safe and guarded," she whispered.

Robbin nodded, and with that Brenna pushed the doubts from her mind. They'd decided, and she'd stand by that decision as she did with all the things she put her mind to.