Chapter 1

3 Weeks Before

"Ness you play way too much".

My best friend Bri laughed and pushed me. I laughed as well, continuing our walk down the street. It was extremely dark out, but the street lights added a bit of light. Well, enough for us to see clearly.

"I mean come on. You know her ass was doing way too much. Them bright ass shoes on. Like bitch stop, trynna show out." Bri giggled as I continued talking shit.

"Girl you know you crazy."

"Nah, her ass crazy."

Our laughter died down, and I began looking around at our surroundings. It looked a little different from the way google maps showed me. It was started to look creepier the further we walked. There was a bunch of homeless, drunk, and strung out people walking aimlessly around us which had me ready to turn around.

"Bri, I think we going the wrong way," I looked over at her. She looked up at a street sign, trying to figure out where the hell we were. I pulled down my shorts that I now regretted wearing.

"I think this the right way. It said to go past Commercial."

We both looked up seeing a car go past, extremely slow. We both looked at each other before we began walking, back in the direction we came from. My heart began beating rapidly as I became scared. I started to regret sneaking out to this dumb ass party.

"C'mon Bri let's go," I spoke lowly to her as we began walking fast. The same car came around the block again. This time it stopped on the side of us and it's doors flew open. I watched as men hopped out of the car and began coming towards us.

"Run!" Brianna shouted making us both dart off down the street. I grabbed her hand and began running as fast as I could, almost dragging her in the process. I ran track so I knew that I could run faster than her, plus she is a little thicker and shorter than I am. Turned the corner where I could see a busy street up ahead. I hoped that if we at least made it up there we could stop being chased. There would be too many people who would see us in need of help.

"C'mon Brianna." I felt her slowing down.

"Wait, I need to catch my breath." She panted heavily. I pulled her in between a couple of bushes in front of what looked like an abandoned house. We both stooped down, breathing heavily. Fear had my adrenaline rushing, so I was moving as fast as I could.

I tried looking for the men who were after us but I saw no one. Instantly I pulled out my phone trying to see if I could perhaps call someone. I almost fainted, seeing that my phone was dead. I began thinking back to when I was at home, too lazy to plug up my phone.

"Fuck". I whispered.

"What"?

"My battery is dead". I looked over at Brianna who looked scared out of her mind. She didn't have a phone so asking to use her's was not an option.

"C'mon." I got up to continue our walk towards the next busy street. I tried turning my phone on as Bri walked behind me. I prayed and prayed that it would turn on and last long enough for me to call my mother and give her my location. I no longer cared if I was going to get in trouble or not. All I wanted was to be safe at home.

Surprisingly, my screen lit up on my phone making me smile eagerly.

"My phone turned on Bri." I smiled looking behind me. My smile quickly faded once I seen that Bri was no longer behind me

I screamed looking over. But when I looked next to me, Bri wasn't there. My heart raced and I looked around. Her name effortlessly slipped from my lips in an attempt to get a response. But when there wasn't one, I felt tears about to slip from my eyes.

"Bri"!? I shouted and began walking in the direction of where we were being chased. I turned my head left and right, looking everywhere for her.

"Brianna!?" I shouted again and began to run. I looked around searching in the alleyways, and corners of every house. Terrible thoughts began to swirl around in my mind. I tried pushing them as far back as I could but it was no use.

Then I heard it. I jumped at the sound as it damn near shook my entire body. I began running again, the taunting sound is what still haunts me in my sleep every day. When I woke up this morning, I didn't think this day would change my life forever. I didn't think that I would have to go through this.

"Nessa!"

My name rang out. Her scream sent chills through my spine, afterward, the sound of a gun went off making me stop in my tracks. I cried helplessly as I walked slowly, afraid to see what I was sure I heard. I couldn't believe how we had just gone from smiling and laughing to this. My best fucking friend was dead. She didn't deserve to be killed, it wasn't her fault.

I think every day about what I could have done differently that day. I could have just charged my phone. I could have payed attention to where we were going. I could have held her hand the entire time we were walking so that she would have never gotten snatched away. I could have stayed home and invited her over, instead of having us both sneak out to some party. I could have done a lot of things, but there was nothing I could change. It had already been done.

My best friend, Brianna was a wonderful soul. She got good grades, being a top student in every class. She never misbehaved or carried herself unladylike. She was so sweet and kind to everyone she ever met. Neither one of us were popular but that was okay. We had each other and that was all we needed. We'd known each other since first grade. Bri was the only person nice to me on the first day of school and we'd been friends ever since.

Now she was gone, and I was left with a hole in my heart.