the other town

“No!” Shouts Daniel catching my arm as I turn to begin to march away, “We need to keep moving, we need to survive.” He looks at me and I take him in, sorrow on his face but strength strong behind that.

“Don’t you want to take revenge on the people who killed your family? Who murdered your family? Their only an arm length away and you could do it, could straighten out the alliance in the world; make it right.” Maybe it wasn’t fair to use his parent’s murder against him but it had to be done, the murderers had to suffer. I wasn’t sad that Thomas and Zara were dead the world was better off without them, but it doesn’t mean what they did was right.

“Karma Georgia. Karma will right it out.” I stare at him and see he did want to fight against them, but I can see he has already made a plan, a plan without force. He was right karma would right this out but it didn’t mean I liked it; I wanted to take karma into my own hands. I nod slightly to Daniel, we would find another way of getting back at them but right now we had to move, we had to survive.

“Come on,” I lead Daniel the short distance to the electric gate and throw a stone at the bars, it bounces back in a puff of smoke and at that moment in time I know we wouldn’t make it over to the other town. I see Daniel move forward out the corner of my eye as I ponder over how we would survive this attack. “What are you doing?” I ask Daniel pulling him back, “Are you crazy?” He shrugs away from my hold.

“Being the president’s son has its ups. I know how to turn off the power.” I let go off him but still worry as he moves forwards towards the big metal gate, and as he reaches his arm out towards it I scrunch my eyes waiting for him to be thrown back on to the floor, but he doesn’t. The humming sound disappears and Daniel turns and smirks at me before reaching up to the metal wires on the gate and, begins to climb. Shaking out of my daze I follow his lead and think about how I was supposed to lead Daniel into safety and not the other way around. We Jump the fence and come face to face with a young woman cradling a new born baby in her arms, her blonde hair full of black ash and what looked like blood. Her face was smeared with tear stains that were distinct as her face was marred with blackness. The baby sobs in her arms to loudly for what seems like her liking and covers her child’s mouth, I begin to freak out as she was suffocating her own child but she scurries on in a panic frenzy and hides behind a huge rock. I look at Daniel and then we hear it, the sound of impending footsteps. We hurry along to the young woman’s hiding place and we kneel down with her.

I look at her; study her if you like and as I do I can feel my heart drop as I think this attack may not just be on Kingston. But why was her own kind chasing after her, but as the footsteps grow clearer I can tell it isn’t our kind, it was the governors. And they were chasing, hunting my kind in the hope to stop our rebellion against them. I begin to hear their footsteps thin out, searching and as one grows closer than the rest I hope my heart beat doesn’t give us away. We were in a clearing and the rock was cut off from the rest of the clearing that was surrounded my thick trees, we were on the edges. I can hear, smell and taste the man coming closer he was right above us and in that moment looking at the young woman’s baby I know what I have to do. I feel my body moving before my mind registers, my hands snap out in one quick motion closing around his large neck and in one fluent motion I push sideways until I hear the snap, than I remove my hands and watch his body fall to the ground, his eyes lifeless. All this had happened in seconds without a sound, but now that it was over and that I was really looking I realise with horrible pain that I know this dead man in front of me; I knew him well.