The hunt

By the time, I gather myself off of the cold floor it was late; the sky was as black like the Kine’s family’s heart. There was no stars tonight, no moon; just clear black endless sky, that made me feel claustrophobic as if the world was caving in on me. I sigh, and move from the window, I look at the bed and even though my body craved to feel what it felt like to lay on a mattress, I just couldn’t let myself, knowing it belonged to them.

I had never had a mattress; I never had a bed frame. The floor was my bed, and I was okay with that, but in the end temptation and desire won over and I jump in the bed, I sigh as the soft fabric, sinks down with my weight and seems like it’s going to drag me in. I sigh and moan, at the feel off the comfort it brings; I had never been so comfy. I close my eyes, and I can feel myself begin to drift off.  I welcome it, and sigh as I feel like I’m in heaven.

                                                 *

Memories of my family swirl round my head, the day my father took me out for my first hunt, I was so scared and I remember him taking my hand smiling at me proudly; even though I hadn’t cached a thing. His words were soft and full of love, “Georgia dear, there’s nothing to worry about, you will be a natural.” And he was right, I was a natural. I was eight the first time he took me out on our hunting trip. He taught me many things, like how to set up traps so that we could catch rabbit, and if we were lucky something else. He showed me how to use and hold a knife properly, he even duelled me to a sword fight, and ever since we always have had a sword fight before our trips. The first time we battled, he won obviously, my body wasn’t use to the weight of the blade and I found it hard to manoeuvre, also I must admit I was scared I was going to chop of my own arm, or slice myself, as the blade was only slightly bigger than myself, but as time went on, I progressed and for the last four years I have won every time. He had made into a pro, he was proud and I was proud of myself.

My mother always tried to make me more into a woman, but my father had introduced me to the real me – the one who enjoyed hunting and to have a good fight, I wasn’t one of these woman, who sat and tried to make food with the little scraps they were given, or to try and clean the house with little props. My mother hated my father, for taking me out hunting, she feared my safety, as things could get quiet ruff out there sometimes. I remember the first time, I saw my first proper fight, it was of two men who were fighting over a kill, one had shot it but so had the other, and they both refused to share as they claimed it was ‘their’ kill. They battled each other, I remember standing there rooted to my spot, watching the two in awe, as they mastered the techniques I wished I could, it ended soon, in blood. It was horrible, and I remember it tortured my mind for many nights after. The blade slicing through the man’s body, as blood spurts from the gash, and the victory smile the other one wore. From then on, I knew why my dad made me battle him, so if we ran into that situation, I could defend myself.

My mother did try her best, to show some enthusiasm towards the hunting, the best she could come up with is how I was gaining a lot of muscle, meaning I looked a lot less scrawny. She was proud of me though, she just didn’t like to see me put in danger … how ironic now. She did teach me manners and when not to use them, I had inherited her strong wield, and she taught me how to use it to my abilities. She taught me how to look after myself, and how to stand up for myself. My father, however did not have the same strength as me and my mother, I’m not saying he was a coward, but he allowed himself to be pushed.

I think about these things as I sleep, remembering the good times and every little detail about my parents …. Though I wish I wouldn’t, I didn’t want to think about them. They were the past – I had to move on – to forget. From now on they were dead to me.

                                                    *

I awake with a bang on the door, I mumble and drag myself out of bed, wiping my eyes with my hands; trying to wipe away the tiredness. At the door stood Thomas, I groan to myself and he walks into my room.

“I will make this quiet quick Georgia; I would like you to go hunting today with Jude.” He said it bluntly, why did he pick me I think to myself, he must need me elsewhere?

“Why me?” I say voicing my words, in a muffled tone, due to just getting up.

“Well, if I’m right I heard you hunt?” He says, his eyebrow lifting up to his hair line, as he stares at me questionably. I was confused, everyone hunted, everyone had to, and yeah okay maybe, I was a bit different as I was a girl, but surely he had other men who could go?

“Don’t you have other men?” I say showing my confusion.

“Yes, we do. But I heard you’re the best. Now that’s settled, breakfast is down stairs in the kitchen ready, Jude should be there too.” He says, walking out of the door and swinging it shut. I smile to myself, and get dressed quickly, being sure to dress appropriately, in some loose trousers and a dirty tank top; I pull out my knife and attach it to a holster at my leg. I pull out my sword and put it in my belt.

I walk out the door, and walk down the stairs to the foyer. I stand there hopelessly, I hadn’t had the tour from Daniel, and I didn’t know where the kitchen was! I walk towards my left, as that’s were Daniel disappeared yesterday to get an apple, so it must be in this direction. I walk through the door, and am confronted with a library; I look up and around me. The room was filled with worn and torn books, I walk even while I look around the room, mesmerized. I hit something hard, and instantly put my hands up. I look up and see Jude; I remove my hands from his chest and duck my head. How embarrassing.  “What are, you doing in here?” He says his voice tight, but like music.

I look up into his golden eyes, and feel myself melt at his feet. He was free of the hat, which showed he worked for Thomas and his mousey blonde hair, feel around his face in a mess.

“I – I – I.” I shut up and mentally kick myself; he smirks at me showing a little view of his teeth. “Lost?” He offered, I smile up at him grateful and nod, not trusting my mouth. “Come on then.” He says, walking off. I follow him and walk into the kitchen. It was stunning! My mouth gapes open, Jude obviously thought it was the perfect time to either test me, or make me look even more like an idiot. He throws a plum my way, and I catch it in my hand without looking. I had a good reflex system; though that doesn’t mean, it always worked.

“Are you testing me?” I ask him, my eyebrows wiggling at him.

“Nope, but good catch.” He says, popping the p. I shake my head at him, while I bite into the plum, he was so testing me. He begins to lay out things on the table, and my mouth drops open once again, I close it quickly. Why can’t I keep it shut!  I mentally shout to myself. I walk over, and trail my hands on the slender wood of a bow. “You like?” He says, his voice intrigued, I nod my head, in amazement. He laughs slightly, making my knees shake. “You ever used one?” He asks me.

The bow was one of my favourite weapons, apart from a sword, but mine had broken after years of use, and I had been separated from one for over two years. I nod again. He lifts it to me, and put it in my hand. I turn my eyes to his, showing I was confused. “You use it.” He says, his voice making my insides swoon. “What are you going to use?” I say, my voice distant, as I stare at the beautiful thing in my grasp. “I have another one.” He says, sending me a small wink before walking off. I smile; this was going to be a great day. I put my body, between the bow, so that it’s over my shoulder, and add the arrows to my belt. Jude comes back out, with another bow. Oh my! I look over his topless body, has he rubs nettle lotion over his top half, I can’t help but stare. He looks at me, and laughs slightly. What was I doing! I pull my lips inside my mouth, trying to stop myself from drawling. He must think I’m a complete idiot, I think to myself. Great, and I have to spend the day with him, making myself look even more of an idiot … just great.