Unwanted

It was around noon, by the time Thomas Kine came back, I was hoping he wouldn’t. Though, the good bye couldn’t be put off any longer than it already had been. I look to both, my right and left side and stare at my parents, my beautiful mother, who has taught me a lot and made me know love. My father, who helped me find the real me, the father who says I am perfect in every way. Tears glisten over my violet eyes, as I look at them both. There are also tears in both my parents. I throw myself at them, hoping I could hold onto this moment forever, for them to always be there for me, especially when I needed them. For them to be there when I’m ill, or when I leave school, or to see me grow up into a woman – but they will never see any of these things.

I hold tightly onto my parents, my fingers clawing at the thin fabric, that covers there bare skin. I hold back my tears, no matter how bad it hurt. I would not let Thomas Kine, see me cry – I just wouldn’t give him that satisfaction. I can feel my mother begin, to pull away from me, I pull her back in, not letting her take away this last moment from me, to end it so quickly. I needed her just a little bit longer, to remember this for ever, to remember how much she loved me, and how she showed it on the day, I was taken away from her.

After a while, I allow them to pull away from me, they needed to, and I needed too. I needed to let them go, to let them get on with their lives now, and I needed to get on with mine. I smile at my parents, remembering all our shared memories, before I walk towards Thomas Kine, and allow him to lead me out the front door. Allowing him, to lead me away from my old life; from everything I once knew.

I don’t look back, won’t allow myself too. Once outside and the front door securely shut, I allow myself to inhale the soft essence of the after math of the down pour. In front of me, stood the only horse alive in the village, the only transport and that belonged to only Thomas Kine. His Challet – known as a slave for the government, takes my only small bag from my grasp, and loads it onto, the horse drawn carriage. I could have done it myself, but it was his job, this is what he got paid, even if it was a measly seventy Gam a day. Gam was a bronze circle that in history was called a penny, I didn’t see why the money changed names, and they were exactly the same except it had the governor’s face on.

I climb aboard the carriage, with the Challet’s hand for help. I sit back on the plush, blood red fabric – which I had never seen before. It was soft and comfortable, it was like heaven. Thomas sits opposite me, and stares at me with his cold menacing gaze, I draw my eyes away from his, as a cold shiver run downs my spine. I look out into my small town – Kingston, and watch the other people outside as they work hard to make little. A group of four men were lifting up a small fox from their hunt, it was a good kill, and most probably one of the finest meats left. It was rare to catch an animal, bigger than a rabbit, but from mine and my father’s last hunting trips, rabbits were becoming rare, even the squirrels were hard to find.

I look up to catch, Thomas’s face react as he sees the fox. He licks his lips, as if the fox were in his mouth, it doesn’t surprise me that he would send his men after that fox. I sigh and hope I can get through this year in ease; it was only a year how hard could it be? But there’s the simple fact, you’re living with the devil and his family. I don’t voice these comments though, but it didn’t cross my mind that he knows what I’m thinking. He knew what everyone thought of him, he didn’t care though – why would he?

The carriage stops and I see another Challet, at the gate of my new home, open the gate and bow as if Thomas deserved it. Even though, I could see through his façade and see the depths of his eyes, explode like volcanoes. It must hurt so much to wait on hand and foot, to the man you despised, but it was the best job there was. Once the carriage stops, the Challet boy is there, helping me down again. For the first time, I get to see him properly, he was about a year or two older than myself, he was very good looking with his pale stark skin, his cheekbones heightened – but everyone’s was, due to be under weight. But his eyes – his golden eyes, were mesmerising, they looked so familiar.

“You’re Henry Day’s son? Aren’t you?” I blurt out, in a shocked voice. Henry Day, was the local baker, his son – Jude – had been missing for over seven months, rumours spread he tried to run, but his father dismissed the facts and says he was taken. No one had seen of him since. I’m not surprised, as Jude looked completely different, he was unrecognisable. His beautiful golden eyes, stare up at me in shock and hope, but his mouth doesn’t utter a word.

“Georgia, we do not speak to the Challett’s. Come on now.” Thomas says, in frustration. I smile sweetly as Jude, before I follow Thomas into a house that I despised. I despised everything about it, how big it was, how it was clean, how it was filled with expensive things and most of all the people in it. It was as if the laws didn’t comply with them.

But even as I walk into the foyer, I can’t help but admire the art and delicacy of the house. The ceilings were, filled with art, of angels – giving the feel as if they were watching down on you, giving me the feel of safety. The walls were white – pure white, my favourite colour, as it was so uncommon to see. A gold and crystal chandelier, hangs from the decorative celling, white candles, glowing imprudent in the holds.

“What was the big news Thomas? You pulled me away, from my soak? This better be good.” Zara, Thomas’s wife says. She hadn’t seen me yet as Thomas stood directly in front. I got the scary realisation, that Thomas hadn’t informed his family about me, and at that thought, my knees begin to tremble and shake. I begin to bite my lip, as I become anxious. Thomas steps out of the way, and I wish he didn’t. Zara and Daniel look confused, and what a sight they must have seen: Dirty, scruffy old me, with a bag and shaking legs.

“What’s this?” Zara says coolly, as if I wasn’t here.

“Dad’s brought her.” Daniel says, as cold and calm as his mother. Though his eyes, burn right through my soul as he stares deep into my eyes. He hated me and I hated him, this was going to be a long year.