29 - Fire Mutt

Enjoy the Chase/Peyton dance in the sidebar!

___________________________

JACE POV

I straightened out the tie I wore along with the black dress shirt and slacks as I took a seat near the front next to Cara who sported a black dress. Many people were here. Some I knew, some I didn’t. I saw Dillon’s parents in the front talking to some people, which automatically made my fists clench up. They shouldn’t be here acting like they knew her so well.

            A priest stood in front and was talking to a sunken in version of Dillon. Ever since the death of his little sister he’s done nothing but weep. It’s weird seeing my best friend like this since he’s never shed a tear before in his life but with the circumstances, it’s expected.

            During the past week since the fire happened, I’ve done my own fair share of mourning. I still believe that this is my fault and I’ve punched the walls in my bedroom far too many times to count now.

            As I looked around some more I saw people from school. Lauren who seemed both broken and regretful. Luke who silently sitting with his head down, something very uncommon for him. Chase who wore a blank look on his face as if he didn’t believe it. Then there was Kayla whose facial expression was something I couldn’t even tell.

            I decided I couldn’t sit down any longer so I stood up and walked around. I finally stopped in front of a headstone that read Peyton Brandt on it.

             I stood there with my hands in my pocket, not wanting let my feelings all come out before I whispered four words: “I’m sorry for everything.”

[AUTHORS NOTE: HAH! This little section above this was ALL fake. Anyone who I talked to got me telling that that Peyton's dead when really, I never planned that all along. I just felt like tricking everyone :) I didn't change it or anything because someone convinced me not to kill her, I planned for her to live this whole time. I just wanted to break up the tension with a little joke pulled by me.

SO I REPEAT: The part from the funeral above NEVER happened. It was just a little joke I put together. It's not even a part in the real story. Now enjoy the REAL chapter below :) ]

Chapter 28. Peyton's POV.

A steady beeping and a muffled snoring filled my ears while I stayed in darkness. A pain went through my body and I actually breathed in a little gasp in surprise, which in turn actually hurt even more. Where was I? What was going on? Why did I hurt so badly?

            In an act of intense strength, I managed to open my eyes to see nothing but white, sterile walls. It took me a moment to realize that I was in a hospital room and the snoring came from Dillon sleeping on one of the chairs.

            “Dill?” I croaked out but stopped myself from finishing the rest of the name because my throat felt like it was on fire. Sadly for me, my brother didn’t move an inch and continued sleeping away.

            Why was I in a hospital? I looked down at my body and saw a white blanket resting over my body. One leg bulged out much higher than the other one and when I tried moving it, I realized that a cast must be on it for whatever reason.

            None of this was making sense to me. What happened that made me injured enough to be in a hospital? I reached up to run a hand through my hair but then stopped when I saw a huge bandage covering my arm. The only part that wasn’t concealed was my hand, which had huge red welts on them that seemed to be scabbing over. After seeing that, it hit me as to what happened.