32 - Back to School

Dedicated to MizzAwesome123 for making that amazing banner in the side!

Sorry this took so long... Every time I try writing, something important would take me away from my laptop! Mostly family and sport stuff... And this chapter is pretty boring but also what some people have wanted for awhile now :)

_______________

“Are you sure you want to go to school today, Peyton?” My mom asked while fiddling with her fingers.

            My backpack was on my lap, I was tucked into the car that Dill and I share, him in the drivers seat, and my wheelchair was in the back ready to be used. Since I couldn’t quite fit into my sweatpants by myself and I didn’t want to call anyone to help me, I wore some athletic shorts that showed off my cast on my leg and the huge burns on my other one. I was able to get my bandages off finally so all that lay from my burns were either bright pink scars or scabs. I still looked horrible especially because I wasn’t able to get that hair appointment in so I literally looked like the fire barfed me up.

            “I’m sure, mom,” I told her for the millionth time. She reluctantly closed my door and let Dillon and I drive to school. The ride was quiet and short and soon we were in the parking lot right next to Jace’s car so he could help me into the wheelchair along with my brother.

            Dillon killed the engine but turned to me instead of getting out. “Look, if anyone gives you a hard time today, ignore them. I don’t want anyone bringing you down because you’re… You know.”

            I bit my lip and nodded. He gave me a little smile and exited the car while Jace helped him get the wheelchair together. When they were done, Jace opened my door with a bright, gorgeous smile on his face.

            “You ready to go, Pey?”

            I gave him the best smile I could conjure up underneath the nervousness of coming back to school after a month hiatus. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

            They helped me into the wheelchair as more and more students drove up in their cars. Dillon wheeled me around, Jace held my backpack, and I kept my head down all the way to the building. As soon as we walked into the noisy school and people took notice, all conversations stopped.

            I looked up and saw the eyes of everyone who believed that I was some sort of lying slut for the past few months. Did Jace ever tell them the truth about he was the liar, not me? I really have no idea.

            As they escorted me down the hallway, Dill and Jace acted like they couldn’t hear the words that everyone was muttering about me but I could.

            “Whoa, that’s Peyton Brandt.”

            “I thought Jace and Dillon hated her.”

            “How is she even alive?”

            “I heard that Jace saved her by running her all the way to the hospital after digging her out of the shed that collapsed on her while on fire.”

            “Wasn’t she trying to commit suicide?”

            I looked over at Jace who peeked down at exactly the same moment. He gave me a little smile of encouragement, which barely did anything for me, but the thought was still nice.

            When we finally reached my locker, I opened it to find a very thin layer of dust covering everything. Huh. I guess I really have been gone a long time. I got my schoolbooks, sat them down on my lap, and had the two guys lead me away to my homeroom while more stares continued.