17 - Old Kayla

Sorry it's been awhile but I have a good reason! I've been reading the Hunger Games series and finished them... If you've read them, I know you understand. If you haven't, go. read. them. now.

But, enjoy! :)

_________________________________________________

“It’s not… much.” Jace said sheepishly as he held open my door.

            I looked up at the Harley residence and instantly loved it. It was a little house with a tree on the right side. A beautiful flowerbed rested in front of a huge open window and the whole house was done in a manila paint. Overall, I really liked it. It wasn’t huge like Dill and my house is but this one looked more homey and nice. Mine wasn’t like his. Mine is like a hotel room kind of meaning that it doesn’t feel like a home.

            “I love it,” I smiled at him and he gently took my hand, leading me to the front door.

            This morning Jace didn’t even bring up last night’s events and I was thankful for that. Today I was focused on keeping my mind in motion. I won’t stop to think about the fire at all.

            “Mom?” Jace called when he opened the door. The inside was even better than the outside. It looked like someone actually lived here unlike my residence where everything has to be perfect like a demo’s house. “I’m with Peyton.”

            “In here, you two!” She called and Jace squeezed my hand while walking into the kitchen. When we walked in there, a woman in her forties was standing over the stove while mixing something. She turned around when Jace cleared his throat and a smile crossed her face.

            “Hello, Ms Harley.” I smiled at her. “I’m Peyton.”

            She quickly washed her hands and took both of mine into hers. “Oh, call me Ella.” She turned to her son. “Jace, your girlfriend is beautiful.”

            I laughed, “Thank you!”

            I looked between Jace and his mother and they definitely looked alike with the dark hair and light eyes combination. The only difference really was the facial structure. He must’ve gotten his father’s.

            “Okay you two… Lunch will be ready soon so go do something while I finish up!” She let go of my hands so Jace wrapped an arm around my waist earning an ecstatic smile from his mother. “If you go into a room, leave the door open!”

            I turned bright red as Jace led me out of the kitchen and up a set of stairs. We walked down the hall to the last door and he opened it revealing a door.

            “My abode,” He said in a low, funny voice while opening it. He gestured me inside of his room and I was surprised at how clean it was. Whenever I walked into Dillon’s, I always think to bring a gasmask.

            He motioned me to sit on his bed while he turned on some movie that I liked as well as him. I leaned against the wall then put my feet on Jace’s lap when he joined me. I fiddled with my thumbs because I was nervous for the lunch we were going to have downstairs. I’m not a really good talker…

            “Calm down,” He said and I looked up. “She already likes you. A lot.”

            I laughed, “Why?

            Jace shrugged and put his hands behind his head. “Maybe because you’re better than the other girlfriends I had.”

            I scrunched my eyebrows together. “Jace, I have a question… Who have you gone out with?”