Perfect: Chapter Thirty-Nine

Perfect

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Emma

-Six Months later-

          I lay back on the couch, while staring up at the ceiling as if no one was watching me. However, I knew better. I had been coming here weekly for the past six months. As I peeled my eyes away from the ceiling, I looked over to the woman who was sitting there, staring at me intently. Linda Powel, my therapist had been there with me through every step of the grievance process.She sat there gracefully with her hands in her lap, her long black hair cascaded down over her shoulders and her hazel colored eyes were standing out like no other. For the longest time, I thought that therepists were supposed to be old and boring, but Linda was beautiful and young. I felt as if she understood everything that i would tell her. Over the six month’s she had been the one to help me jump over the hurdle to be okay. She was the one that helped me with getting over my miscarriage, and the fact that Dean was killed. I mean, I’m not saying it was an easy process but…Ms. Linda made it a whole lot easier than it would have been alone.

          I forced a smiled, “It’s not that she did it. I mean, of course…I can’t believe that she would do that to me but am I crazy to think that maybe…” I paused for a moment, trying to figure out what I wanted to say. “Just maybe, if Bridgette had of told me earlier that I wouldn’t have felt as guilty as I did?” I asked Ms. Powel.  We had both been sitting there for the past hour, pondering on how things would have been if Bridgette hadn’t waited six months to tell me about sleeping with my now deceased fiancé. Well, I guess you could say I had been pondering over it. She just watched me and observed little thing I would say.

          Ms. Powel resituated herself on the chair, and leaned in close. “Emma, how do you think you would have felt if she had told you right after everything happened?” She asked, while slowly raising her eye brows. “This is your last session with me, just go on and let everything out. Look at how far you have come.”

          I took a deep breath, and sat up on the couch. Knowing exactly how I would have felt, I sighed; anger and hatred were strong words but…

          “I would have hated her.” I whispered, trying not to meet the eyes of the woman sitting in front of me.

          She looked at me for a moment, as if she understood how I would have felt but she didn’t say that because it would have been unprofessional. “Well, as of right now, Bridgette telling six months later, how do you feel about her?”

          For a long moment, I sat there in silence while wanting to blurt out that I still hated her but I didn’t. If there was one thing I should have learned over the months was that you fight for the one you love or you don’t get them at all. I had cheated on Dean with his best friend, and at that time, I was fighting for what I wanted but after everything had happened, I let him go.