Chapter Nine: Returning to Work

Charlene took a deep breath as she parked in her parking space, she had been a little nervous about bringing Abigail with her to work but she didn't have any other options; she couldn't afford any more time off especially when she could easily be replaced. 

Abigail peeked out of the car window and looked at the building before them, she was curious about what they were going to do today and why they couldn't have stayed home. 

The weather was really nice out and Abigail wanted to play in the large garden back at the house, she pouted a little at the idea of spending the day inside some boring building and she wanted to go home. 

Undoing her seatbelt, Charlene looked back at Abigail knowing that this was going to be strange for her; her boss had been understanding that she had needed some time off but it was time for her to return. 

"Okay. Do you remember what we talked about?" Charlene asked having set out ground rules before they had left the house, she was nervous about having Abigail on set with her but there was no avoiding it. 

Charlene hadn't felt comfortable enough to ask her mother or her in-laws to babysit while she was at work, she felt like she would have been ditching her responsibilities to Abigail by offloading her onto complete strangers. 

Charlene had no idea how long they might be here, she was a presenter on a gossip show and she just hoped that she would be able to get this over as quickly as she could. 

"I am to stay in your sight at all times," Abigail recited back, she frowned wondering why Charlene was so worried and she hoped that they would head home soon so that she could play in the garden. 

She loved the garden so much and Charlene had even allowed her to plant some seeds, Abigail wanted her flowers to grow pretty and she watered them every day with the small watering can that Charlene had bought for her. 

She had felt so proud when the first signs of her flowers had appeared and she made sure that she took very good care of them with Charlene's help.

***

Abigail tilted her head as she watched Charlene get her make-up done, she looked pretty without it and she didn't understand why everyone was fussing over Charlene in such a way. 

Charlene peeked at Abigail in the mirror, she was relieved that things were so calm and she was glad that she had managed to keep an eye on Abigail with everything that was going on. 

Backstage was incredibly busy and Charlene had been worried that she might lose Abigail or she would look one minute and the next she had been pushed out of sight by one of the crew. 

"Okay we are done... shows in five minutes," the make-up artist announced before leaving the dressing room so that she could check on the others, she shut the door behind her as she went. 

Abigail watched her leave before she slid off her chair and hurried over to Charlene; she clambered up onto the brunette's lap and cuddled close, this was a strange place and she wanted to go home. 

"I think you look prettier without it," Abigail whispered looking up at Charlene, she didn't see why she had to wear make-up when she was so pretty. 

Charlene smiled brushing her fingers through Abigail's hair, she had a feeling that this was going to be an interesting day and she was sure the little girl would like watching the show. 

"So do I," Charlene whispered back to her before the call to the stage was given, she carefully set Abigail down before getting to her feet. 

The last thing that she needed was too be late and Charlene wanted to make sure that Abigail was sat in a seat where she could keep an eye on her.