Chapter Twenty-Two: Stronger Together

"Are you sure about this?" Manuel asked staring at the box that his father had placed in the back of his car, he wasn't 100% on the idea that Michael had come up with to offer Charlene a little extra support around the house. 

Charlene was still incredibly shaken by what had happened and had even decided to speak to a therapist about the trauma that she had suffered during the robbery on their home. 

There were still many nights were Charlene would wake up crying, doing her best not to disturb Manuel when she did so; however, no matter what it always ended with him just holding her silently as she wept. 

Manuel wished there was more that he could do, he wished that he could take away her pain and he wanted the men that had done this to her to be locked away so they couldn't hurt anyone else like this again. 

"Of course, not only will it offer Charlene the support that she needs but it'll help you feel secure enough to go back to work," Michael insisted getting into the car. 

It had not escaped anyone's notice that Manuel had been away from training for over a week now and the media were starting to press on why that was; the club had claimed injury as the reason but that would only hold them off for so long. 

The fans all seemed to know that something had happened, even if they didn't know what it was; there were rumours flying around about it especially with the house now on the market. 

Manuel didn't say anything, he was sure that Marcel would have told their parents about the breakdown that he'd had when they had gone back to the house to get some stuff. 

Michael peered at his son, concerned clear on his face and he didn't know what to say to help him; he hated seeming him so serious about anything in his life. 

Words failed him and Michael wished that there was something that he could say, something that he could do to make this all go away. 

The police were hopeful that they were going to catch the robbers even if it was going to take time; they were certain that they would soon have the guys responsible for this. 

***

Setting the box on the coffee table, Manuel tried not to be so nervous as he looked at Charlene who seemed rather confused about what he had brought home. 

He had dropped his father and brother off at his parents' house before he had come home to his wife and daughter with the surprise that they had picked up.

"Manuel?" Charlene asked eyeing the box, she wasn't expecting anything and she had been sure that everything from their home had been boxed away for storage until it was sent to their new house. 

The couple were actively seeking a new place and their estate agent had sent them some promising places, a couple of which they had put bids in for and were hoping to get. 

The box moved stopping Manuel from responding, he watched as Charlene carefully moved forward to the edge of the couch that she was seated on before she reached over to open the box. 

Lifting the lid off the box, Charlene could only stare at the puppy that poked his head of the box; she set the lid on the coffee table before she reached into the box to pull the puppy out. 

The Bernese Mountain Dog puppy, tilted his adorable fluffy face as Charlene held him in her arms; she sat there speechless as she stared down at the sweet ball of fluff that her husband had brought home with him.

"I figured he would be good company for you and Abigail when I go away for work," Manuel explained with a small smile on his face, he reached down to brush his fingers through the soft fur.