Chapter Twenty-Three: Unexpected News

Staring at herself in the mirror, Charlene pursed her lips as she searched her face for something that she wasn't quite sure what she was looking for but there was something different about her that she couldn't place her finger on. 

The last couple of months seemed to have flown by with Charlene occupied between all the work on their new home that needed doing, her therapy session and training Noodle. 

It hadn't taken them long to find a house that they loved, it was in a good neighbourhood and a good school district for Abigail's sake; they even had a large garden for Abigail and Noodle to play in. 

Charlene had taken to watching DIY channels on YouTube and had started to work on the house, she was learning new skills and she was enjoying the work that she was putting in to their new home. 

Of course, there were some parts that she would not dare to try herself in fear of causing herself harm but Charlene did what she could and Manuel helped when he had the chance to do so. 

Slowly but surely, Charlene was making her way through each room of the house as she went with her improvements and decorating; it was a wonderful way to spend her time with Manuel back at work and Abigail in school. 

"Good morning," Manuel whispered wrapping his arms around Charlene's waist and kissed her neck, he peered over her shoulder into the mirror at her face. 

It truly felt like a weight had been lifted from their shoulders since they had moved here, the fresh start that they needed and they had gotten the news that the men had finally be arrested in connection to the break in. 

Charlene truly felt like she could go the shops now without fearing that they were watching her, they had all pleaded guilty and it had been a relief to know that she would not have to testify against the robbers. 

Charlene had been unsure about facing them in court, she never wanted to face them and Manuel had supported her in anyway that he could in her decision; their lawyers able to handle any issues that seemed to crop up about the case. 

"Do you think I should cut my hair?" Charlene asked him, she ran her fingers through her long brown hair and peered back at him over her shoulder with a curious look on her face. 

It felt like it was time for a change, a new look for the new her and Charlene felt like her hair was a good place to start.

"Your hair looks fine the way that it is," Manuel assured her with a kiss to her cheek, he didn't have training until later that day and he wanted to make the most of them having time alone together since Abigail was at school. 

The little girl was fitting in well and had even made friends since she had started in September, she was loving her classes and Manuel often sat with her in the kitchen doing her homework while Charlene made dinner. 

Charlene rolled her eyes and poked her tongue out at his reflection, she should have known that he would say that; she turned around to face him and kissed him on the lips. 

"I just feel like doing something different, my hair has always been long and I always style it the same way," Charlene stated leaning back on her dresser and staring up at him. 

Her head tilted slightly as she considered her husband for a moment as she adored his face, her hand reaching up to cup his face and she smiled when he ducked his head slightly to kiss the inside of her wrist as he caught her hand in his own. 

The calluses on his fingers were rough against her skin as they moved along her fingers and before Manuel pressed a kiss to the top of her hand. 

The sound of the door bell ringing made Charlene furrow her brow and she looked at Manuel confused for a moment knowing that they were not expecting anyone this morning.