Chapter Seven: Home Sweet Home

Opening the front door to her home, Charlene peeked down at Abigail who was clutching at her hand and she was almost relieved that things had worked out so well; she pushed the door open allowing the two of them to step inside. 

Charlene eyed the bag that she had been given by Karen that contained Abigail's things, she couldn't believe how little the girl seemed to have. 

This was everything that Abigail owed in the world and it had been collected from the place that she had called home; it seemed unreal that there was so little clothing for the little girl. 

"You live here?" Abigail whispered in awe, her eyes widening as she admired the beautiful home that Charlene had; she had never been anywhere so nice in her entire life. 

She had lived in a flat with her mummy, it hadn't been much but Abigail had liked it there; it had been the first home that she had ever known after all the moving around that her mother did. 

"I do," Charlene replied making sure to shut the door behind them, she was hoping that no paparazzi had spotted them especially since she didn't want Abigail exposed to that. 

There was no way that the media would leave the little girl alone if they knew that she was living here with her and Manuel; they would want to know every detail about her. 

It was one of the downsides of her life and Charlene knew that Manuel didn't like it any more than she did; they had just about been able to marry without some paparazzi stalking them both and snapping pictures. 

Abigail couldn't help but stare at everything around her before Charlene set down her bag, she clutched at her hand not sure what to expect now. 

"Would you like to see your bedroom?" Charlene asked crouching down to speak with Abigail, she had done her best on short notice and she hoped that the little girl would like it; they could decorate it however she liked if she didn't. 

Abigail quickly nodded her head, a small smile on her face as her eyes darted around the entrance to Charlene's home trying to take it all in. 

Never in her short life had she ever experienced anything like this, it was like living in a Palace and Charlene got to live here every day and there were no dark mysterious marks on the walls or the ceilings.

***

"And this is your room," Charlene said finishing the tour of her home, she pushed open the door and peeked around hoping that this room was going to be alright. 

She wasn't sure how long Abigail would be staying with her and Manuel but Charlene had a feeling that it would be a while; it was only fair that she got to make the room her own. 

Abigail stepped into the room, her eyes taking in every detail as the words that Charlene had uttered replayed in her mind for a moment. 

"My room?" Abigail whispered in awe of the idea, she had never had a room to herself before; she'd had to share with her mummy and sometimes she was lucky enough to sleep on the couch by herself. 

Charlene nodded her head, she had picked a room that viewed the garden for Abigail; she hoped that Abigail would like it and the garden was lovely first thing in the morning and you could see birds in the trees. 

"I've never had one," Abigail whispered in amazement, she stepped carefully in the room and peeked at Charlene almost concerned that it would be taken away from her in a blink of an eye. 

Charlene blinked staring down at Abigail, she knew little about the little girl only what the social workers had told her and it hadn't been pleasant to hear at all.