Chapter Two: Elise's Concerns

"It's so great to see you," Elise gushed wrapping her arms around Charlene, a smile tight on her face as she peered over her shoulder and into the house. 

Her eyes searching for any sign that they had company and she was a little relieved to see that there was no sign of anyone in the house other than Charlene. 

The last thing that Elise wanted was to upset her daughter, things hadn't exactly been easy since her husband had passed away and Charlene was all that Elise had in the world right now. 

Joseph had been the love of Elise's life, she would have given almost anything to have him here with her right now; he would have known what to say about this situation or had some advice. 

"How have you been?" Charlene asked showing her mother into the living room, she had prepared a light meal for them and she was eager to make sure that Elise was comfortable before she checked on the food. 

The house felt rather empty with Manuel away for a match, he wouldn't be back until late tomorrow and had assured her not to wait up for him especially since she had work early the day after.

"I've been well dear," Elise replied with a sad smile, her home felt far too empty and she longed for something to fill the hours that she spent alone in the house that she had shared with Joseph for thirty-two years. 

More than half her life had been spent with her husband, it felt strange to be alone and Elise couldn't see herself remarrying or even courting anyone even again. 

There was silence for a moment and Charlene eyed her mother carefully before she sighed and took a seat on the coffee table across from her; it was clear that whatever her mother had come to discuss was truly bothering her. 

"Mama. Why are you here?" Charlene asked prompting her mother to say what was on her mind, she wished that Manuel could have been here for extra support in case it was bad news. 

Elise tried to work out how to say this, she didn't wish to upset Charlene especially on the sensitive subject that she was about to enter into and she couldn't imagine how Charlene would react. 

"If you're seeing someone... I just want you to be happy," Charlene guessed knowing that she wouldn't blame her mother if she wished to move on, she deserved to have someone in her life after her father had passed.

And Charlene was certain that her beloved father wouldn't want her mother to spend the rest of her life alone, trapped in the house that she had shared with him and raised their daughter without anyone to share her life with. 

At sixty-two years old, Elise still had many years left in her and Charlene knew that while it might be strange to see her mother with someone that was not her father; it didn't mean that she didn't want her to be happy. 

Elise widened her eyes and shook her head, she didn't feel quite ready to step out into the dating world and she never would be; she wished to honour her husband even if he was no longer with her. 

"I am worried about you Charlene," Elise admitted softly, she felt so silly and she knew that Manuel's mother had the same concerns as she did. 

The two women had talked in length about the fact that their children had showed no sign in having children in the time they'd been together; even though they had both stated more than once they'd love to be parents. 

Charlene blinked a little surprised at her mother's words, she had no idea what she was talking about especially when Charlene felt like there was nothing to be worried about.

Things were going well for her and Manuel and she didn't see why her mother was so worried about her when there was nothing wrong; it wasn't like her marriage was falling apart or Manuel was cheating on her.