Chapter Five: Difficult News

Sipping on her coffee, Charlene tried to wrap her head around what had happened and she doubted that it would be anything that she would forget anytime soon. 

A little part of her felt sad that she had to say goodbye to Abigail, she hoped that things would work out for her. 

Charlene couldn't imagine what lay ahead for Abigail and she prayed that the police would be able to track down Abigail's family now that her mother looked set to spend some time in prison. 

It seemed so cruel that she might have been left without anyone in the world, it was such a hard position to be in at such a young age. 

"Are you okay?" Manuel asked wandering into the kitchen, it was pretty early in the morning and he had hoped to spend a little time with her before he had to return to the training camp. 

He was grateful that Joachim had been so understanding about the situation that Manuel was currently in and encouraged him to take a few days off so that he could be with his wife during this time. 

"Just thinking," Charlene replied with a weak smile, she kept replaying what had happened over and over again in her mind. 

It made her so angry that Abigail's mother had put her in danger like that, that she hadn't even seemed to care about her child after the crash and now the little girl was in foster care. 

Manuel watched her for a moment, he had been so scared after Elise had called him and told him what had happened; he had been terrified about what he might find at the hospital. 

That his wife could have been seriously injured or worse when he arrived, only to find her playing with a little girl and keeping her company after what had happened to her. 

"You scared the crap out of me Char," Manuel whispered wrapping his arms around Charlene, he had been so worried that something had happened to her and he didn't know what he would ever do if he lost her. 

It was something that Manuel never wanted to think about, he didn't want to picture a life that didn't have his wife in it.  

***

Coming downstairs Manuel paused at the sound of his wife on the phone, he wasn't surprised that so many people had reached out considering how panicked Elise had sounded when she had gotten a hold of him. 

It wouldn't have surprised Manuel if his mother-in-law had called everyone in her phonebook in an attempt to find out what was going on after Charlene had hung up on her like she had. 

"Thank you," Charlene said peeking towards Manuel when she spotted him, a nervous look on her face as she tried to keep anything from betraying what the phone call was about. 

Getting off the phone, Charlene took a deep breath as she thought on what the doctor had just told her; she hadn't expected their results for another couple of days and yet the call had come in to say that the results were ready. 

"That was the doctor," Charlene revealed looking down at her hands, she messed with her wedding ring and replayed the news that she had just gotten over and over in her head. 

Manuel nodded his head, he moved to sit down next to Charlene on the couch as he prepared himself mentally for whatever the doctor had told her; he reached out and took her hand in comfort. 

"My results are in," Charlene mumbled, she was a little relieved to know what was going on but it had come at a surprise to her since they had told them that there would be a delay. 

Manuel nodded his head, he didn't care what the doctor had said only that it helped them on their path to have a child together; he was sure that it was good new and they would have some idea what would come next.