Chapter Sixteen: Dinner with the In-Laws

"It's wonderful to see you again," Catherine greeted hugging her son, it had been a while since they had all gotten together and she was pleased that they had decided to get together for dinner like this. 

Manuel was often so busy doing the football season that it was rare for them to have a get together like this and Catherine knew that there was something that her son had been wanting to talk to them about something. 

"How have you been?" Catherine asked peeking about, she knew that Abigail was still here and she was sure that it had made her son and daughter-in-law think about having a child of their own one day soon. 

They would be wonderful parents when the time was right and Catherine couldn't wait to have a grandchild to spoil; she knew that these things took time and she was more than willing to wait. 

"We've been good," Manuel insisted looking towards the kitchen where Charlene was putting together the final pieces of dinner; he was a little nervous about breaking the news to them about the adoption. 

Elise had been thrilled with the news once the shock had worn off and she had started to make plans about what was going to happen when the adoption was official and Abigail was a Neuer. 

Michael raised an eyebrow, he could see that his son was nervous right now and he had a feeling that there was a reason that they had been invited around for dinner like this. 

The couple seemed rather insistent that they could around as soon as possible and Michael hoped that everything was alright; he had been worried about them for a little while now. 

"Make yourselves comfortable... I'll just help Charlene finish dinner," Manuel insisted before he walked away, he had a feeling that his parents suspected that something was going on right now and he didn't want to make them too suspicious about this. 

Catherine and Michael shared a look before they headed for the living room to sit down, they had no idea what was going on but they both had a feeling that they were going to get some big news.

***

"Dinner was wonderful Charlene," Michael complimented his daughter-in-law, it had been a lovely affair and he had been rather surprised that it was just the four of them; he had assumed that Abigail would be joining them. 

He sipped on the red wine that they had been served and leant back in his chair, it had been a lovely meal and Charlene had out done herself with the grilled miso salmon with rice noodles and he hoped there would be dessert. 

"Thank you," Charlene replied finishing off her own meal, she had been stuck wondering what to do for this sort of meal; she was pleased that her choice seemed to go down well and she was sure the dessert would as well. 

Manuel nibbled on his own food, he was still thinking about how he would break the news to his parents and he wished that he knew that there was some way that would make this easier. 

"So, what is it you two wanted to talk about?" Catherine asked not seeing the point in dragging this out any longer, she had been dying to know what was going on since they had arrived and there was still no sign of either of them talking about it. 

Manuel choked a little on his food and stared at his parents, he hadn't been expecting his mother to be so straight forward about any of this. 

Patting Manuel on the back, Charlene looked at him concerned and she hoped that he was truly okay with telling his parents about them adopting Abigail. 

It wouldn't be fair to keep them in the dark specially when her own mother knew and wouldn't be able to keep it a secret if she spoke with Catherine; she would tell the other woman in a heartbeat.