Chapter Nine

‘You're birthday is tomorrow,’ Draco stated, while they walked the corridors at night, hand in hand.

Draco had been wondering when she would bring up the subject of her birthday. He had found out the date of her birthday and had been thinking of the various things he knew she’d love. He wanted to get her a present.

‘Is it? I guess I lost track of time,’ Hermione said, looking down onto the floor as they walked.

‘What do you want to do?’ Draco asked, quietly, already knowing what she would say and he also knew that she didn't forget about her birthday.

‘Draco, I don't want to do anything. I'm not really the party type,’ Hermione said, looking around the corridors.

Draco knew she was thinking about the party where they kissed for the first time, as he was too. She looked up at him and chuckled once, before walking on and letting the silence surround them.

‘Are you sure you don't want to do anything?’ Draco asked, squeezing her hand, ‘I mean, now is your chance to ask me for anything you could ever want.

Hermione squeezed his hand once and shook her head, silently willing for the subject to change. Draco knew she was hurting and it killed him that he had done this to her. Sometimes he thought of leaving her so she'll go back to Ron... But he loved her and of course, that would be hurting her even more since she didn’t love Ron. Plus they had gotten a lot closer to each other.

‘What's wrong?’ Hermione asked, looking up to the lines creased with worry and guilt on Draco’s face.

Say it.

Don't be selfish.

Just tell her to leave.

‘I can't,’ Draco whispered, to himself, not realising Hermione was staring at him. He was too deep into his thoughts.

‘What? Draco, look at me. What's wrong?’ Hermione stopped and her small hands cupped Draco's face and they stared at each other, ‘you can't what?’

Hermione’s eyes were filled with hurt and guilt, her cheeks had lost the colour from all the stress of her friends. He couldn't do it. Draco had never lost a best friend... Actually he had never had one. He had always learned to trust no one but now Hermione was his best friend. He could trust her.

‘Nothing,’ Draco ran a hand through his hair, trying to think, ‘I'm tired. I love you.’

Hermione’s eyes furrowed together, studying his face intently. She knew something was wrong but he wouldn’t tell her since he was so stubborn.

‘Are you alright?’ Hermione asked, frowning, touching his cheeks to feel any heat radiating from him. Maybe he was ill...

‘Yeah, are you going to the Gryffindor common room? Or ours?’ Draco asked, changing the subject.

‘Our common room,’ Hermione replied, walking towards their common room after their nightly patrol.

They walked down the deserted corridors. It was late at night and they were supposed to roam the corridors in case anyone was out of bed. Sometimes Hermione told the prefects too but she liked walking with Draco. They reached the huge door and walked into the Heads common room.

‘Goodnight.’ Draco said, leaning in to kiss her once on the cheek.

Hermione was slightly surprised as he usually kisses her on her lips. She frowned, suspiciously. He raised his eyebrows at her. They stared at one another, not wanting to be the first to look away. After a while, Hermione kissed Draco on his lips, and Draco kissed her before pulling back, quicker than usual.