9

"Hey, Mace? We kinda need you in the living room..." Macey slowly opens her eyes to the harsh sunlight and the face of Sybil.

"Why." The tired, still slightly drunk girl, rolls over in her bed to shield her eyes from the moonlight that streamed in across her pillows.

"Macey, it's Calum. He's really banged up." Sybil swallows hard and looks down at her feet. She knew how Macey would react. She rolls back over and looks at Sybil again.

"It's fucking three a.m. Sybil. What, what could have possibly happened!" She rolls her eyes and Sybil shakes her head.

"You saw it all happen Macey." Now it was Macey's turn to shake her head.

"I know something happened last night, I just don't remember what." She almost sheds a tear when she remembers that she isn't sad Macey anymore. She's strong, hard, and cold Mace.

"Try and think back. You saw it all happen. Please remember we really need you and we can't take him to a hospital. You know why not." Sybil pleads with her best friend to remember. To pull out some thread of sympathy. Some humanity.

"Michael beat up Cal. I did see the whole thing, didn't I?" Macey looks back up at Sybil who nods. 

"I still don't see why I need to help him. Do you know what he said to me last night?" Macey rose her voice now, disturbance settled in her voice and Sybil hushed her.

"I know what he said. That's why Michael hit him. And maybe that's why he didn't fight back," Sybil pauses and sighs, "If you won't do it for Calum, which I totally understand, do it for Michael." Sybil offers Macey one comforting smile and a shoulder squeeze before going back out into the living room. 

Leaning back on her pillows and rubbing her eyes, Macey thinks about Calum. He had killed her inside for the past year just to almost build her up again. But he tore her back down. 

'I'll do it for Michael.' Macey thought to herself.

Swinging her legs over the side of her bed, she glances to the closet. Groaning to herself she heaves herself to the closet door and pulls it open. She pulls out her first aid kit, blood pressure measure, and stethoscope. Taking one last deep breath she walks out into the living room to see Sybil standing in the kitchen sipping coffee.

"Where's Michael." Macey says, completely monotone. 

"He's getting some sleep in my room. He was up the past six with Calum even though Calum was barely conscious."

"You should have woken me before, Sybil." She rubs her eyes once again and glances at the couch where Calum lay. She couldn't see him over the back of the couch.

"I'm sorry Macey." Sybil says softly, her voice filling with the sound of tears and need of sleep.

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry. Go, and get some sleep with Michael, he needs you right now and you need sleep." Macey musters up a small smile as Sybil nods and walks past her slowly into her bedroom.

Once again, Macey looks over at the couch. She walks over quietly and kneels in front of Calum. She places a gentle hand on his forehead and feels slight heat radiating off it. His eyes and lips were still swollen and a bit of blood was crusted underneath his nose and the corner of his mouth.

"Macey?" Calum whispers hoarsely. She looks up at him and nods.

"What are you doing?" He asks her softly.

"I have to check you, you can't go to a hospital cause of the press. I don't know Sybil is making me do this." She sighs, unzipping her first aid kit and pulling out a sanitary wipe, cleaning off the blood from Calum's face.

"You're a doctor?" Calum's eyes widden, he can't imagine his little Mace becoming a doctor.

"No," she laughs softly, "I haven't had nearly enough school for that. I want to be a doctor though." 

"Then what are you?" He frowns slightly.

"I'm pre-med." She smiles slightly.

"I never knew you were interested in that stuff." He says even quieter than before.

"Well, people change." She said coldly. She listens to his heart beat with her stethoscope and takes his blood pressure.

"You changed." He said to her. She looks up at him and shakes her head.

"So did you, Calum." He is about to speak again when she cuts him off.

"So what are your symptoms? How do you feel?" She raises an eye brow at the boy and he shrugs.

"Head ache, dizzy, really queezy." He sighs and looks up at her worried face.

"Well, it makes sense due to he fact you suffered several severe blows to the face and head and chest. You defiantly have a severe concussion. No running, jumping or any physical activity for two weeks, three tops."

"Okay, doctor Macey." He smiles at her and she only smiles a little.

"I'm gonna get you something to take these headache pills with, okay?" She stands up from her kneeling position in front of Calum and gets him some water. She returns to see him shivering slightly.

"Here, take this water and these pills and drink them down. I'll grab you a blanket." She smiles down at him now and he returns the favor. She places one of her blankets over him and he calms down somewhat. 

"Okay, just rest and relax, you can watch a little TV if you can't sleep but you're exhausted I'm sure you'll sleep. Good night, Calum." She goes to walk away but the boy manages to muster any strength he has left and catches her arm. 

"Wait Mace, those things I said in the car, I'm so sorry." He says, tears pricking the back of his chocolate eyes.

"I know, Calum. I-I forgive you." She whispers, tears rushing to her own brown eyes. She walks back to him, leans down and kisses his forehead gently. 

"Sleep well, okay?" She whispers, smiling down at him as he cuddles in to the couch pillows.