Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

A few days later, I was in control of my thoughts and my fangs. My parents had decided that the next day I would be allowed to return to school.

Dominic and I sat outside discussing how my new gift might affect some of the things that I'd be involved with. He was concerned that it might flare up while we were around a lot of humans and I could lose the control that I had learned. His fear was logical, but it still annoyed me that he had such little faith in me. I was trying to unlock his mind, something I had not yet managed to do. I struggled to find the balance within me that allowed me to be so open to everything else- I was not doing so well.

Perhaps if you went for a walk to clear your mind. His thoughts always made so much sense.

I think that's a great idea. You wanna come? I was beginning to always enjoy his presence.

I need to call Abner. He felt very embarrassed over not being able to attend your party and I am worried that he is still fretting over it. His concern for his friend touched me deeply.

No prob, Bob. I'll be in the woods by the mine if you need me. I showed him a mental picture of where I would be.

“You really are getting the hang of all this.” I didn't know whether it was a complement or an insult, I left it alone.

I waved as I walked off. I don't think that I should say 'walked' as my walking speed had easily become the rate a normal person jogs. The woods were green and every shade of brown imaginable. I would never get tired of this as my backyard. I could hear all the animals moving with life. The sounds of small feet scurrying around made me smile, just as it has my entire life.

When I was a little girl, after the DeDominicos had left, I was completely alone and I would wander away from my sunny backyard into these trees. They have been a second home for me and a place of safety. Today, they held a chance for me to try and understand myself a little better.

As I moved amongst the trunks of the moss covered trees, a noise caught my attention. It was the sound of something falling. Not just anything, but something alive

My stomach clenched as I moved quickly toward the noise. I found the baby bird by the sound of its heart sputtering to a slow stop.

Before I could think of anything to do, I slumped down on the leaves that covered the forest's floor and scooped up the tiny creature. Something was wrong with it inside, I could sense it. I felt so much sorrow for a life that had been cut so short. I held the small bird to my chest as the tears slid down my face. Why could something so new to the world be lost so quickly? The tears flooded my vision and spilled down onto my hands.

Suddenly there was a tiny movement within my closed hands. My heart fluttered. How can that be?

I opened my hands and looked down inside- sure enough, there was a perfect baby bird sitting in my hands. It was covered in my tears, but it squeaked happily at me. Joy ran through my body at a rate that I had never felt before and then I could feel everything the bird had ever felt- including its death.

I didn't understand what had happened with my miniature friend- ultimately it didn't matter. I saw where the creature had fallen from so I hopped up into the tree and placed it back in its nest.

“Now, you stay here. You wait for your mommy to come back. No more trying to fly until you're ready.” I could sense that the mother bird was watching me with angry eyes. I blew the baby a kiss and jumped down.