Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I was in my usual dream when I heard my name. Emma …

I awoke with a start and it was still dark outside. I thought it must be the middle of the night- the clock told me it was six thirty in the morning. Best get up, so I'm not late.

I knew I'd have catching up to do this week because of my extended holiday. I heard the loud crack and understood why it was so dark; a lightning storm. Great sign for the day.

I dressed in black clothes, pulled my hair into a messy bun, and didn't bother to put on any makeup.

I found the kitchen empty and it made me think of Dominic cooking for me. Maybe I should check my email. Trying to be slick, I had left my email address in his library. I grabbed a bowl of a sugary cereal and went back up to my room. It took a minute for the dang thing to fire up, so I stared at it as I chewed my breakfast very deliberately.

I logged on as soon as everything had loaded. His email address stood out like a beacon of light on that dark day. I also noticed there wasn't any from Mike.

Mia Bella, Emma.

Today I start negotiations with a few of the common cities for us- Paris, London, Berlin, Dublin, Moscow, Madrid, and Bern. I can only hope that all goes as planned. If so then it should only take two more days to go over the building plans. Abner sends his best to you. The house felt strange to be so empty now perhaps it is just empty without you. I hope you are not angry with me for calling Michael. I knew the trip would be hard on you and I wanted you to have a familiar face there to collect you. I do miss you though. I even miss your dull town.

Well, it is time for me to sleep, but I knew you'd get this today. I will write after the meeting tomorrow. Have a pleasant day. If you get angry- remember our kiss.

With love,

Dom.

I blushed as I read the last lines. I decided to write him back.

Dear Dom,

I'm not upset with you. I did appreciate Mike being there, he seemed different to me. His voice and manner of speech were different. Ah! There is a lightning storm going on this morning. It's very pretty. I'm sorry you're missing it. Perhaps there will be another when you get back. I hope all goes well with your meeting. I really loved Bella Notte. I don't want to go to school- I don't want to see Acacia and Mike and know that she is the reason for his change. I know I sound silly, ignore me. Let me know how everything goes.

Em.

I went to school after that. I didn't want to put it off any longer. I needed to face this storm head on and even the weather was egging me on. I realized today would be a full day- without me being a baby as well.

I got to school late and felt silly for taking the time to check my mail.

When I got to class Mike was there, and sitting in my chair was a beautiful creature. I sighed. That must be her. She's beautiful. Her skin held an olive complexion, her hair was like a river of flowing chestnut with glowing strands of beads, and her eyes were a mouthwatering chocolate brown. She fit well next to Mike with his coloring. A perfect match. I was instantly jealous- her frame was well formed and her features were imp-like. Why is she in my chair?