Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I was lucky that no one mentioned anything to me about my nocturnal activities. Time passed for me in a blur of family lessons about the new things that I could do. Then the day before my 'coming out' party- as I liked to call it- arrived. The house was filled with excitement. I, of course, did not sleep on these days. Excitement had an adverse effect on my sleeping pattern.

The air felt charged with a certain electricity that was magical. I knew only of the plans I had decided on, but the rest was a mystery. I was totally psyched about it all. I wonder how many are coming?

I briefly remembered my birthday- that was a lot of people. Somewhere, deep inside, I had a feeling that this would be a million times greater.

I went downstairs in hopes of finding something to do to keep me occupied. We had another set of staff on and I soon realized it was the same one from before when I saw a girl about to fall off a ladder. I nearly flew to save her. When I caught her, she weighed nothing.

“Hello, Mary,” I said to the young girl in my arms.

Mary's face blushed a fierce shade of red. “Oh, Miss Emma. I was just … thank you.”

“What have I told you about the 'Miss' thing? It's Emma. And I surely wouldn't let you fall. Do you need some help?” My voice sounded like melting butter as I put her down, it was something I would have to adjust to.

“No thank you, Emma. I'm to do my own chores. But thank you very much for the offer.” She smiled.

“Would you at least like me to hold the ladder for you?” I really didn't understand why we hired help when I knew we could do it all easily.

“No, really, it's fine. I'll wait until one of the girls are free.” She smiled once more, bowed slightly, and backed away. Strange.

Emma. Dom's voice was a pleasant breeze in my mind.

Yes? The word purred out even in my thoughts.

I could use some help if you're really bored. It sounded slightly as though he was teasing.

Whatcha doing? He always managed to pique my curiosity.

I'm in the backyard overseeing your tents and entertainment setup. I could tell he was smiling.

I'm coming. I walked slowly outside to help Dominic. It was hard to move at the speed I had once gone, but it was necessary because of all the humans around.

The backyard that generally looked huge had suddenly shrunk. Two huge white tents covered the majority of the space. I walked into the one closest to me. Even though the exterior was a typical white tent used in outdoor events, the inside was amazing. Clearly I had walked into the tent for the elder folks. The light was a soft, gentle hue. There were groups of tables and comfy chairs in the center. Around the perimeter, chess games were set up. A small stage was set in the front with slightly stronger spotlights shining down on it. The grass had been covered by plush carpets. It looked like a place where the grown-ups could comfortably hang out.

I walked out into the bright sun that had decided to grace us and flinched away from it.

Dom. I think we need to get shading for the entrances of the tents, so that no one has to walk directly into this burning light.

My eyes burned as I tried to blink away the image of the sun from my eyelids.

'Good idea. I thought you were coming.