Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

With prom's fast approach, I decided it was time to go shopping for a dress. I wanted something custom-made, but I didn't want to go to New York alone. Dominic was busy with plans for his clubs, so he wouldn't be able to join me. I thought about asking Miss Ashley, because she would be able to afford an overly expensive dress, and she'd be chaperoning the event. She liked that we were the financial backing to this year's shindig. I asked Kelly to come with me and, at first, I feared that she would be uncomfortable, but I coaxed her into it. I decided that I'd buy her a dress too.

How many times do you get to be a teenager and go to your high school prom? I figured that if a vampire wanted to, they could easily attend high school hundreds of times- because of our slow aging, but that was besides my current point. This was my first prom after all.

I phoned Kelly and asked her if she was busy tomorrow. She had nothing planned and it was a perfect day to go to New York and meet with the designers. The day passed slowly, even for a Saturday. But somehow I survived.

When dawn broke on Sunday, everything was an ugly gray color.

I stuck my head out my bedroom window and saw it was overcast and slightly chilled. I called the airport at once and I was lucky- because it wouldn't interfere with the take off, or landing, of planes.

I drove into town at seven to pick Kelly up at the deli. For some reason, she didn't want me to get her at her house. I thought that maybe she was embarrassed by how small hers was compared to mine.

She was eating a muffin when I pulled up. She waved, but still looked glum. I opened the passenger side door for her from the inside and she bounced from the table to the car. I raised a brow and debated if this was really the best idea. After a minute, I decided it was.

She offered me some of her muffin; I declined and told her that we had a light breakfast waiting at our destination. I hadn't told her where we'd be going for the dress, or that she'd be getting one as well, but those were little details to me. I pulled into the airport and parked.

Her blonde brows shot up. “Um, what are we, eh, doing here?” Her voice cracked at the end.

“We are getting on that plane, right there,” I said as I grabbed my purse and hopped out of my new black beast.

Kelly hooked her arm through her bag and scrambled out of the Jeep. I could hear her feet scurrying to catch up with my longer strides.

“Now, don't say anything. This is going to be fun.” My voice was excited and I gently helped her into the plane.

“Emma, I, eh, I've never, you know, flown before,” she said, sheepishly.

I giggled. “The pilot flies the plane silly.” I stuck my tongue out at her.

Her laugh was shaky.

“Oh, alright, I totally understand. This is like my third or fourth trip. It's safe. Don't worry.” I smiled at her. “Just sit down, are you hungry, or want some coffee or something?”

She sat and looked around. “I'm not hungry. A coke would be nice. Is there a bathroom on this plane?” Her skin had a greenish tinge.

“Yeah, it's up here by the kitchen. Let me get you a 7-UP instead.” I shuffled into the kitchen.

I returned with a bowl of Count Chocula for me and a 7-UP for her.

“You gonna be okay?” I said around a mouthful of cereal.