Chapter 16

My sweat and blood had literally drenched the mat and I'm patched with bruises and cuts. I couldn't ignore the fact that my left eye can't dilate properly. We've been doing this for hours, but at least I had the brains to analyze the moves quicklier than an average Seeker, I just had to repeat it three times or less. So far I've learned at least fifteen moves, as if I was born to be this way.
My shoulders were aching and my legs have stretched out like taffy. I've been dueling with Ace for quite a while now, and he always seems to be stumbling back, dodging every hit. I've learned so much from Jackson, who's more swift than a fox. I learned how to counter-attack, to jump over a seven foot gauntlet, and hurl tomahawks for a split second.
Sarra has taught me be more agile and flexible. She made me hate having arms and legs for making Jackson and Robert trip both my legs in different directions, causing me to collapse in full-splits. She kept me like that for at least an hour, convincing me to meditate and allow the pain to strengthen me. Once I got up I couldn't feel my legs, so I had to keep icing them until I felt the pain again.
Never did I wince once nor screamed, I endured it. Like a real mercenary.

Once I fought a boy twice my size, with a braided ponytail, dark skin and chinky eyes, but he was as scrawny as I am but had a little of muscle. He is a lot faster, a lot bigger, but I have a few advantages. Thanks to Robert I learned how to master a few armbar techniques. I could take him down simply stretching.
Our sleeveless shirts and knee-length trousers were already lined in sweat after all that warm-up. We squared off each other by Mr. André's bone-chilling yell command.
We lunge for each other, his glare striking through my bones, my foot thrusting into his solar plexus. He got down on his knees but recovered quick, returning the favor by swinging a fist up my jaw. I dodge and block with my right forearm and swiping his neck with my left hand. I bounce back and forth, constantly messing up his momentum. I was agile, agile enough to abstain from getting kicked in the hip by cartwheeling around his launching leg. He slid down and spread out his other leg, slicing through my Achilles tendon. As I lay down flat on the podium, he crouches over me, preparing for his final offense.
As for me, my legs sprung up, snaking around his shoulder and neck while I repeatedly thrust my elbow onto his head. He stands up suddenly, managing to carry my whole weight and throw me down. A massive avalanche slithered down my spine, so I force myself to moan in pain just to release the venom snaking all over. My ribs ached as if they actually fractured, I fought back the tears and got up all of a sudden, my buttocks feeling like molded cement.
"Fight's not over yet, boys," Mr. André said. "Don't rush, you still got...oh--" He stares grimly at his watch. "Fifteen seconds."
He stand, facing each other, rocking like chairs and luring one another through false offenses. I take a step forward, yet he shifts back swiftly. How am I getting inside if he keeps closing all the paths?
If he keeps them closed, then I'll burst in instead.
I was enslaved by my feet as I drive myself towards him. He engages, continuously swinging his hands which only passed through my head dismally. I grab his outstretched left fist and propel my legs around his neck and drag him down in a single flip. Mr. André yelled in victory.
His watch beeped and beeped while I pull on my opponent's arm as I lock my legs down his neck.
I am victorious.

Two days from those events, I have never felt so bare. It's incredulous how they keep a large enclosed aquarium that could rise from the training grounds. I could have fallen down long ago and drowned, but at least they kept a gigantic metal platform to cover it up.
"All trainees are to dive down the water for a short period of time, working together to find a new method to escape," said Mr. André. "You kids will require a breathing tank on your backs. It'll have an unlimited usage so don't go panicking underwater. Although, that'll be the only thing you kids can use while under, weapons or other types of arsenal are strictly prohibited. If you're caught cheating, you'll be evicted from the program immediately."
Immediately...
It echoed in my head as I stare down at the platform below us.