Chapter 29

I wake up suddenly after seeing something that seemed too realistic. I wish it was fake, but it was too powerful to be untrue. I mean, seeing Jackson die like that, after all we've been through. The blood, the burnt skin, his twitching eyes and the lifeless body, I should've changed sooner. But there's this one thing that bothered me; why would he even try to stop me from taking the test? Why would he prevent me from learning my lesson?

I ran out of the training room with no one noticing me. The elevator was so slow, so I ran from stair to stair non-stop. "Change is good, change is good, change is good." I keep on saying. I'm on my way, Jackson, it's fine. I wasn't thinking and I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry if I hurt you, I plead that you'll understand what I'm going through. Now that I know that change is good, I hope all of us can start over.
"Jackson!" I yelled at the top of my lungs as I widely pushed the doors open. This seems strange, a dim, baby blue sky at 9:55 in the morning. Looks like it's gonna rain, there were no clouds above, however.
My mind has never been this open before, I don't even need to try. I'm worried about the consequences, the future. But on the other hand, I'm proud that I'm capable of things I've never done before. Everything has changed, in a good way. For there was no fear, no sadness, no anger and no happiness inside me, all was mixed.
I ran through the glass entrance doors at the hospital. No matter how fast I ran and how disruptive I was to the solemnity of the hospital, I had no worries, I just really had to. I pushed the button so the elevator doors would open, the value of the number above the doors started decreasing and a blinking arrow begins pointing down. Gosh, come on, come on, I'm in a hurry. I was shivering, worrying he would die because of me. And then finally, the doors opened and I excitedly jumped in.

"I'm here!" I yelled. But it was too late, someone arrived faster. The top of his head is bandaged and his glasses are crooked.
"What were you thinking?!" Robert furiously yelled in return. "You would've killed the person who brought you here!"
"Robert, no, he pleaded for my forgiveness, it's all good," Jackson said.
"Thank you, you're still full of surprises." I said. "I'm glad you're okay."
"Oh, please--" Jackson pulls Robert's arm as he was about to do something he would regret. Robert allowed Jackson to stop him.
"Robert, I said I forgave him. Let it go."
"Fine." He frowned.
"Jess, I'm happy that you're okay too. But there's something you should know..."
"What?"
"It's the person who switched the guns. We found him." Robert said.
"Who is it?"
"It's--" I heard heavy, sudden footsteps behind me as I entered through the doorframe. A large hand appears to be holding on to my shoulder.
"Mr. André..." Jackson said. "It's him, Jess." I turned and gasped.
"Jess, get away from him!" I rushed to Jackson's aid after Robert's command. "How smart of you, kids." He said. "I never knew you all are capable of such things." He took a step closer.
"Stay away from them." I said.
"It's not them that I want, silly. I want you..."
"Me? What do you want from me?"
"Your capabilities."
"You just helped me earn them and now you're just gonna take 'em all away?"
"I used you, Jess. And I thought you'd figure out sooner. That's why I hid the DNA results from you."
"My DNA results..."
"Wow..." He giggles. "You're so stupid, Jess."
"Yeah, I was." I said. "What do you really want? Tell me."
"Not you, your powers."
"My powers?"
"What do you want with his powers?" Jackson asked.
"You see, the reason why I switched the guns so his new powers would manifest. I wasn't done, but you kids found out."
"Why me? How did you even know I'm capable of those things?"
"Because your fellow classmates detested me-- and speaking of your classmates, they may or may not be in danger right now."
"Huh?"
"Let them go!" Said Robert.
"Aww, so sweet. Okay... I'll make a deal with you; you join me and you'll surrender your powers..."
"Jess, don't do it." Jackson said.
"or... the students die." He said.
"Where are the students?" I asked.
"I need an answer first." He said.
"What if I don't answer?"
"Then, your loved ones die."
"So I'm guessing I'm your biggest and your most important priority here, correct?" He nods in agreement.
"Jess." Jackson said without a tone. But he slips a small object inside my left hand. It was smooth and circular.
"Come on, Jess, I've got more things to do today and most of 'em require an Innate that's capable."
"Okay, since I've caused too much pain towards others..."
"I'm starting to like where this going." He thinks I'm stupid, but I really am not.
"and, I really have nothing to live for..." Mr. André holds out his hand. I stretched out my left hand and dropped the marble. The strong wind from the portal gushes over his face, blowing his sunglasses off. I struggle to stay completely still on my feet with the strong air attacking us.
"Jess, go!" Robert screamed. I looked at Mr. André, who was holding on to the doorframe and his long, clipper-cut hair blocking his face.
I promptly took a final look at my two allies, and I jumped in.