Chapter 9

I woke up on the left side of my bed, which was the right hand corner of the room. There was a second bed on the opposite side. It has a white bed sheet and no blanket. I stare at it for a little while, thinking; What if the students won't like me? What if I don't fit in? I'm being ridiculous, of course I'll fit right in. We're not normal.
I shuffle myself and found my inhaler and my other medications placed on top of a drawer I didn't know I had next to my bed. A small piece of paper was taped to my inhaler that reads:
" I think you are Capricorn Academy material... "
- Jackson

I did not waste time and stood up from the bed, I was born ready.

My feet were out of control, they just ran by themselves. I felt like the world actually had good inside it. That it was generous enough to keep us safe. I love it, I just love it. But a strong air gushes over my shoulder.
"Sorry." I said, rubbing the ache off my shoulder.
"Me too." I felt myself land straight on the wall. "No running in the halls, mister." He said, tucking in his tie inside his gray suit.
"I'm sorry."
"Are you new here?"
"Yes."
"Well, nice to meet you..."
"Jess. Jess Mckidd." I held his hand and shook it even though he wasn't preparing for a handshake. I smiled.
"Welcome to Capricorn Academy, Jess. My name is Mr. Harris, the principal."
"Oh, right. That explains the sharp suit." I said with a nervous chuckle.
"You think it looks sharp?"
"Sharp as a knife." I said.
"I like you already, where were you heading at this moment?" He asked.
"I was trying to find my friends."
"So you made friends already, that's good." Oh my gosh, I have friends! I actually said it. I have friends! "So, can I have the names of your friends?"
"Um... Jackson and... Ace."
"Oh, of course, Jackson. Our top student of all high schoolers here at Capricorn Academy."
"Yeah, he has gigantic brain cells."
  Where did that even come from?
"Okay, good talk, you better get to your friend. You have a lot of catching up to do."
"I sure do." I said as he walked away.
I hurried inside the bathroom and freshened up. Next, I look for Jackson and Ace, also their group.

8:30, most of the students ran inside their classes but I still roamed around the entire campus. I never knew a school could be this colossal, that it stretched for miles. Being in this school was like escaping the real world and entering a brand-new dimension filled with people you can relate to. It was normal for kids to fly around the halls and teleport around the building. There wasn't even a moment where I stopped smiling.
I head downstairs and explored. I know I should be in class--but I'm just taking it all in. I mean, there's like dozens of computers and a different variety of technologies in this place I could learn more about. I honestly think that the world would be a better place with these people around. I just can't afford to think that these Innates were frightened and alone like me, and that they can't share what they can do. Maybe they can. But the problem is, "they" won't accept us. We're not dangerous, we're not ignorant, we're special, and it's not going to be fair if we're gonna be treated with hostility and anarchy.
I looked through the glass of the door. Students stack books next to their desks and devoured one book after another. The other kids from the other side of the room specializes in wiring technology. They simply rearrange the lint-sized wires and connect them to a certain device. I see two girls pointing at the device which creates a slight malfunction, the student shakes his head and rearranges the wires again. The brick-sized device's tiny light bulb lights up with glimmering sunshine. I smiled and walked away.
Suddenly, I heard people yelling. A couple shouts every millisecond. I followed the vaguely distressed noises through the seemingly quiet hallways. I took a sharp right as I started pounding my feet on the cemented floors, slightly killing my balance. My shoes' soles squeak on the tiles, luckily nobody heard them. So embarrassing! But no one saw it, so who cares? My arm flies out of my stump, now it was even noisier. What is it with me and being so topsy-turvy?
I took off my shoes and hopped across the seemingly-buttered cement, still lured by the yelling. Little air sweeps across my face. The sounds were magnetizing. I was just so eager. I finally stopped at the largest doors I spotted, which was bolted with titanium or something stronger. I slowly pulled the two handles, my heart bursting with fireworks. I peered my tiny head between the doors and stared with growing fascination. My eyes lit up as if I'm experiencing sugar-shock.
"Excellent, excellent." His voice kept on growing larger and larger as he goes on. He walks around with incredibly large, squeaking boots with both of his hands behind his back. Because of his dark-blue sunglasses, the glinting in his eyes were barely even seen. But I was seen by him. He tilted his head 45 degrees.
"Who are you?" I shut the door behind me and panted. "I'm not stupid, mister, show yourself. I know I saw you and you know you saw me." "Okay... I'm gonna show myself." I whispered to myself. I placed my hand on the handle as it tensed up.
"I'm sorry for the interruption. I was just looking." I said, exposing myself. Not my choice. He made me do it. I looked more closely at the students. Eleven of them, I spotted in one glance, were lined up in a horizontal line. Each of them, from tallest to shortest, left to right, clutching two knives on each hand were all staring at me. I wiped the nervous look on my face as the tall man with squeaky boots approaches me.
"You're not supposed to be here." He said.
"Oh, I jus--"
"Unless you're a new student and you're totally lost."
"I'm a new student and I'm exploring," I said with a hint of quivering.
"Oh," He said, he wasn't even doing anything, but his look. It was so frightening. He chomped on his lower lip. "Then you've come to the right place."
"So... knives. What are you doing?"
"Come here." He grabs my shoulder with his leather-gloved hand and I walked with him. "Us, Seekers, learn to expect the unexpected. We can't control the universe, it controls us. They say Innates are a curse, but obviously we're not 'cause we're special. So we vowed to find the remaining Innates left on earth and protect them. That's our job. It doesn't matter how old or how big you are, what matters is what lives inside and what controls you. Know what I'm saying?"
"Yes, sir." I say.
"Mr. André!" A voice called.
"Yeah?" he said. "What is it, Robert?"
"I'll take it from here, I know him." He said, sliding his olive green spectacles between his sandy brown hair and his moon-shaped ear.
"But I don't." I spoke with little respect. "I'm sorry."
"Stop with your apologies, I'm with Jackson."
"Oh, okay."
"Good boy, now come with me." As he walked closer, I started to believe that he is with Jackson. Because of his height, I recognized him. The kid who played at my street along with Jackson and Ace.

The Innates (Book #1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें