Chapter 5

© CR Gangell aka Whitesabretooth

Hi everyone

I hope you enjoy the chapter. As normal thanks goes to my editor and you the reader, all feedback is welcome and please vote.

Have fun

Chapter 5

Alanna walked into the battle school training field after breakfast, the others were waiting in a small antechamber for the bell to start ringing, last week she had each wing chose a name or symbol to be known as, making it easier to differentiate the wings. Castle’s wing chose to be known as the Ravens and they were already in formation and waiting. Thane was watching them, “they’ve been like that for about five minutes, and they have already run a set of suicides and stretched.” In any minute the bell would ring and if the boys weren’t in formation by the end of the tolling the suicides would begin.

“Raven wing, mark out another three wing sections,” Alanna ordered. The boys hopped to it and quickly used thick rope to mark off another three areas. They were still at it when the bell started to toll but they paid it no heed, the training master had given them a job to do and they would do it properly.

The other three wings came out, the Hawks were the first to form up, the Eagles were next and the Falcons were still walking out as bell stopped tolling.

“Falcons,” Thane barked, “ten suicides… NOW.”

“The Ravens aren’t in formation,” Nathan argued.

Alanna stopped Thane, “one warning… answer back to an instructor and you will go to the yard, make it fifteen suicides.”

The Ravens finished and went back to their section. Cia led in the others and directed each to their section, the Gephalim boys went in one section and having seen how the other boys were formed up they formed two lines with a gap in the second line. Kael was first in the line, subconsciously the boys had chosen him to be their leader.

The women were placed in the spot next to the boys and the men were placed on the far side. As they waited for the Falcons to finish their suicides Alanna went over and showed the boys how to space themselves, she then corrected the women and finally the men.

The Falcons had formed up by the time she finished. Castle stood to attention and held his hand up.

“Yes Castle,” Alanna said.

“Training Master, not to question you but why are there three new wings here?” Castle asked.

“Because they will be joining you in the mornings,” Alanna answered simply. “As you all know last week was more about getting your physical fitness up to a reasonable standard. This week… we start the hard stuff.” Several of the boys gave her alarmed looks; the previous week had been hard!

One of the boys in Nathan’s wing raised his hand; Alanna had to think for a moment to remember the boy’s name.

“Yes Hoarst.” Alanna prompted giving him leave to talk.

“Training master I thought active warriors weren’t allowed in the battle school.” Hoarst stated.

“Normally they aren’t, but because you will be learning something they know nothing about you are on an even footing.” Alanna explained. “Now as you can see, there are no practise weapons out, that is because you will not touch a sword until you have mastered the art of unarmed battle. To help me with this I have brought in a couple of extra instructors, you will address them with respect or you’ll do suicides, you will do as they say or you’ll do suicides.”