An Old Aquaintance

I'm actually surprised that I got this next chapter done so quickly! I thought it would take much longer! lol. I've been so busy with work and class and stuff, I haven't had time to do anything. I'm actually neglecting my homework right now so that I might update this chapter for you lovely readers :P

E N J O Y !

An Old Acquaintance

Inside the Captain’s Daughter, there was a large gathering of people, all chatting and drinking. A woman screamed and then dissolved into a fit of giggles; a man snored as his drink poured out of his tankard; a woman nearby shoved him slightly; an elderly man by the window was surrounded by a group of cats.

“Here, kitty, kitty, kitty!” the man called to the cats. “Have a little tot of rum with Old Bill, here. Come on, be a good little pussycat.”

One of the cats meowed.

Jack and his father sat down at a table in the corner, away from everyone else.

“I heard you were putting together a crew,” said Teague.

“If enough people keep saying it, then it must be true,” said Jack.

“…Is that your tooth?” Teague asked, noticing the new headpiece decoration Jack had made to replace the one he had lost when they set Tia Dalma free.

“Aye,” said Jack. “I broke it, swallowed it, passed it, sifted it, retrieved it, polished it… fashion.”

Teague looked slightly amused by this.

“I heard where you're headed,” Teague said, after a time. “The Fountain.”

“Have you been there?” Jack asked.

Teague gave him a look that plainly said, “How stupid are you?”

“Does this face look like it's been to the Fountain of Youth?” he asked.

“Depends on the light,” Jack replied.

“Son, the Fountain. There be items required, for the Profane Ritual. Two Chalices.”

“On the map, there was a Chalice—“

“Two,” Teague interrupted. “Silver. From Ponce de Leon's ship. You'll need both.”

“For?” asked Jack.

“The Ritual!” Teague exclaimed. “Don't be a fool, Jackie! Find out every detail before you set sail.”

“Set sail? I'd love to,” said Jack. “But for that, I may need a ship.”

Teague leaned forward slightly and spoke softly.

“Those folk,” he said, “over there. They have a ship. They're signing up sailors right now.”

Jack glanced over to where Teague had gestured and saw a group of men and women, singing gaily.

“My heart is pierced by Cupid! I disdain all glittering gold—“

Jack turned back to Teague as he said, “And one last thing, Jackie. The Fountain tests you. Mark my words.”

They toasted each other and drank from their tankards. Jack glanced back at the singers.

“—there is nothing can console me, but my jolly sailor bold!”

When Jack looked back at Teague, he found himself looking at an empty chair, something his father had a habit of doing.

Jack made up his mind to go find out who was gathering a crew under his name, and snuck up behind the man who had been singing earlier. The man was still playing his mandala, but he stopped instantly when Jack pressed a knife to his throat.