Glittering Scales

I had absolutely no idea what to title this chapter so sorry the title sucks. lol. anyways, in this chapter you find out a few new things about Serenity and meet a few new people. I hope that you

E N J O Y !

Glittering Scales

Serenity didn’t feel dead. In fact, she felt fine other than the fact that her neck hurt like hell. But it was impossible. She remembered the hanging and the pain she felt just before her neck broke and sent her spiraling into oblivion. She couldn’t possibly be alive.

And yet… she obviously was.

Serenity opened her eyes to find herself lying on her back, staring up at a wooden ceiling. There were wooden walls all around her and she felt the sensation of rocking, as if she were floating on the ocean. She kicked at the ceiling with her strong legs and finally managed to break the lid off her wooden coffin.

Sitting up, Serenity took a breath of fresh ocean air and looked around. She was in the middle of nowhere, completely alone.

But this did not frighten her. For some reason, Serenity felt calm surrounded by all that water. The ocean was calling to her, beckoning her closer.

Serenity put her hand in the water and felt strangely delighted at the way it sparkled like a fish beneath the surface. It almost appeared as though there were scales on her skin. Curious, Serenity leaned out of her coffin further to put more of her arm in the water. Because of the way she was leaning, the coffin tipped and sent her tumbling into the water.

Serenity thrashed around, trying to get to the surface. She panicked, unable to tell which way was up, which resulted in her sinking further into the depths. She gasped for air, but inhaled only water. She couldn’t breathe; she was drowning, and then she stopped. She took a breath and realized that she could.

She opened her eyes and saw a world of water and color. Serenity looked down at herself and saw that her legs had been replaced by a tail of deep purple scales. Her chest had several slits across it, replacing her breasts with gills. Her long black hair floated effortlessly around her body.

Serenity giggled in delight, surprised at her joy. Where had that come from? She should have been terrified, or at least in shock, but she felt calm and powerful. She could go wherever she wanted like this.

So she swam through the ocean, twisting and turning and admiring her glittering scales. She made friends with the fish and explored the reefs. She felt entirely free in the cool embrace of the ocean. For a moment, she even forgot her hatred for Beckett.

It was close to nightfall when Serenity saw the bottom of a ship. Curious, she swam to the surface and saw the pirates on board, tending the sails.

Serenity gasped in surprise when she saw Will, her old friend.

“Will!” she cried out and he turned towards her, his eyes widening in surprise and alarm when he saw her.

“Serenity! Is that you?” he called down to her and she nodded.

Will didn’t know what Serenity was doing in the water, or how she came to be there, but he threw down a rope to Serenity and, with a little help from a few members of the crew, he hauled her up on deck.

When he saw her, Will gasped. In the place of her legs, there was a scaly, purple mermaid tail. Will had heard the stories about mermaids, but he had known Serenity since she was little. He knew that she would never hurt anyone.

As the water dripped off of her, Serenity’s tail receded and was replaced by legs, but that did not stop the other crew members from fearing her.