61 // eyes shut - years & years

They came to the hotel at nearly midnight. He parked the Jeep in the garage and Lydia walked with him, the two of them chatting randomly. It was a warm night, soft and relaxing. Stiles was enjoying it a lot – especially since she was so close to him.

Yet he couldn't stop thinking about what almost happened. Almost.

He sighed mentally, forcing herself to let it go. He didn't have the time to dwell on things like that. If it was going to happen, it was going to happen and that was it.

"So, what now?" Lydia asked.

Stiles shrugged. "I don't know. Do you want to go to Jungle, maybe?"

"No, not really. I'm . . . not exactly feeling like partying," she said. "I don't do that much back home so yesterday was more than enough."

"Then we go back home."

Lydia laughed. "Home."

"Yeah, home. It's my home. Yours, too, while you're staying here."

"Not for long."

They walked to their apartments in silence. Stiles couldn't shake away the thought that maybe she wasn't really enjoying it here, as much as he tries his best. He wanted everything to be perfect, but that's impossible. Especially with Lydia – with her, nothing's perfect. Everything's a mess of random and unpredictable situations.

Stiles liked that.

When they came to the Alpha floor, it was time to say goodbye for the night. Neither wanted to do it.

He looked at her door, allowing himself a brief sad smile. He didn't want her to see him like this, but he didn't want to let her go. They were quiet, just standing there and trying to find the words to say. It wasn't supposed to be complicated, really – but this were Stiles and Lydia.

She looked very pretty. He again thought about calling her beautiful, maybe, but he didn't want her to feel awkward or embarrassing. He wanted her to feel safe and accepted with him, that was all. But she was just Lydia. He'd never know what she's thinking.

"I should probably get going," she finally said. A small smile lingered on her lips as she looked up at him, her eyes sleepy.

"Yeah," Stiles said. "Yeah, me too."

But neither moved. That's when Stiles decided to, you know, just wing it and go for it.

"Hey, Lyds – back at the beach, when I told you you're beautiful – I meant it. I still do." He smiled at the blush just slightly covering her cheeks when she looked away. "I just wanted you to know that."

She smiled, but wouldn't look at him. "Thank you, now go away before you make me feel even more embarrassed."

"Why'd it make you feel embarrassed?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "I'm not used to that, I guess."

"Does it bother you?"

"What, not being used to that?"

"No, me calling you beautiful."

"No. I mean, yes – but no. Both." She laughed and buried her head in her hands. "Go away, I'm going to do something I regret."

"I'm not going anywhere," he replied.

Finally, Lydia looked at him and smiled very widely – like she knew something he didn't. In fact, she always looked at him like she knew something. She had that look in her eyes, the one not many girls have. The special look.

And Stiles was just rambling.

But, really, Lydia seemed different tonight – even more different than usual. Her hair was still frizzle and her face still with little to no makeup and smile still absolutely gorgeous, but something was off. The good off, Stiles noted. Almost like she was glowing with something, radiating or something like that – his brain was overheating so he wasn't really good with descriptions.

He was stupid. Like, really stupid. He was so caught up thinking about Lydia that he almost failed to notice her stepping on her toes and kissing his cheek. It was a simple gesture, but everything in his body was shot to the Moon and began creating an alien race of little hyper-Stileses there.

Okay, something really wasn't okay with him. It was definitely Lydia's fault.

"Thanks, Stiles," she quietly said. "For everything."

He smiled at her, his chest feeling empty. "You're welcome."

She was red in her face and she reminded him of Merida from Merida The Brave. Lydia was a species of her own and he was really glad he'd gotten the chance to be a part of it. Even if she'd just totally friendzoned him (more than once, actually) and even if that means he has to stay on the sidelines of her life for the rest of his, he's taking it.

They finally said their goodbyes and they each went to their own bedroom, Stiles's steps heavy. There was a lot of things on her mind, none of them good – mostly self-depreciating things, calling him a coward and stuff like that. But he didn't have anything against them because they all were right about him.

Infatuation, he'd realized. If I loved her, I would've fought for her.

[so sorry for the long hiatus! i've been trying to get back on track, but eh. sorry this was so short but i this was all i could come up with. the rest of the chapters are probably going to be short, too. also, i nominated this for this year's wattys.]

[i posted an original story of mine, who is megan? which is partially based off stydia (not a lot, just a few details) and i promise regular updates and it's my baby so it would mean a lot if you checked it out.]

[i'll try to update sometime this week again, too.]